Replacing the back board in the Meter Cupboard

My cable was not set into a concrete floor, there was a void of around 4' below where the cutout was located, allowing the job to be carried out with no strain being put on the cable. (and even then I was not too happy doing it)

Even I would honestly think twice about attempting yours with such a small tail protruding from the floor.

It really does not take much movement at all to cause a catastrophic fault on a cable of that age.

Sponsored Links
go and hold the board steady while he drills the holes

:LOL:

screws should not be into render or plaster, they should go into the brick. Maybe you could take out one screw at a time, redrill, fit plasplugs or frame fixings, and secure?

Some of the fixing screws are behied the cutout

Sponsored Links
that doesn't stop you putting in new ones in new locations.

I will get Southern Energy Networks to refix the cutout board when they come to change & move the meter down in line with the cutout, so that there is room along the top for the new 19 way MK CCU to go in.

They will be changing the meter from a Key Meter :mad: to a normal meter.

(P.S. those key meters are a pain, always having to check the balance & topping up the key, about a tener a week. And if the balance runs out, it does not go onto the emergy credit, until you take the key out, & reinsert it, so the electric cuts out until you do that. Not good if the credit runs out during the middle of the night, as it has done before)

The contacts on the keys can be dodgy too. When I charge them at work, I sometimes have to hold the base down, forcing the contacts up inside the paypoint machine. Of course most of the staff dont know to do this and tell the customer to f*** off and get a new key :LOL:

I do not see why people would choose to have credit meters for gas or electric fitted

And if the balance runs out, it does not go onto the emergy credit, until you take the key out, & reinsert it, so the electric cuts out until you do that.
There wouldn't be much point in having the emergency credit unless there was a warning when you ran into it.

I do not see why people would choose to have credit meters for gas or electric fitted
Afaict there are several reasons for people to have them
1: a previous owner/tennant had it fitted and they haven't got round to getting it changed to normal metering.
2: the landlord thought it would be a good idea because they expect irresponsible tennants (afaict the landlord can't be made to pay for the tennants electricity use because the supply contract is with the tennant but it may still be a pain to deal with the disconnection after evicting the tennant).
3: the person doesn't trust themselves to save up for the electricity bill
4: the electricity board doesn't trust the person to be able to pay thier bill

It isn't a credit meter - it is a pre-pay meter. You want a credit meter installed ;)

There are several makes of pre-pay meters, and they are often used in rented properties and flats etc. Many will make a load bleeping noise when they enter the emergency credit, and may require a button pressing to silence this.

It isn't a credit meter - it is a pre-pay meter. You want a credit meter installed ;)

There are several makes of pre-pay meters, and they are often used in rented properties and flats etc. Many will make a load bleeping noise when they enter the emergency credit, and may require a button pressing to silence this.

I one I have makes a very quiet beep (you can rarely hear) when the credit runs out, & to use the emergency you have to remove & reinsert the key

I one I have makes a very quiet beep (you can rarely hear) when the credit runs out, & to use the emergency you have to remove & reinsert the key

Quiet!!!!!!

Lucky you, you must have a broken one.

I'm starting to hear it when I'm not at work lately.
(Could be tinnitus :) )

You have to remove/insert the key so the meter knows you know it's going to run out.

Lots of people are quick to complain about the key meter.
It does have benefits over over prepayment types tho.
One is that if they run out of the EMERGENCY credit, and the paypoint's are closed (ie you can't go and top up) the meter will still let you have electric until the Paypoint opens they next day.

It also thinks all shop's are closed on bank holidays and sunday's.

And I usually fit them for elderly people (like my mum) who like to top up when they get their pension etc and not have to worry about a big bill droppin through the door, or People who don't like paying bills get one with a debt set on it so they can pay the debt off over time.

Back on to topic........

If it's the metering company that will be moving your meter a couple of inch's down your board don't expect them to fix your board to the wall.

I pass them to mains, I don't want to be moving the cable more than I'm paid for.

Tell mains that the CUTOUT is hanging off the wall and they should be round same day to sort it( work depending of course :D )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back