Replacing the wires from a light switch to light junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The property I just moved in was build in the 60's and untouched practically in the last 20 years or so.
Reading around about what would be needed to be done in order to modernize it, one aspect was the electrics.
As I prefer to do as much work as possible by myself, I would like to start by replacing the old ceiling light wires in the bedrooms.

The question I have is if it would be normally possible to replace the wires from the light switch to light junction box without damaging the wall.

Sponsored Links
It might be in conduit (metal pipe) where you could access from the loft and replace - or it might be just burried in the plaster.

I have not noticed any conduit in the loft, so I am assuming it is just buried then. In this case would normally still be possible to pull it out and replace it this way?

Sponsored Links
there is probably little wrong with 1960's wiring, except the light circuit probably isn't earthed.
This is ok, as long as you don't want metal light switches or metal light fittings. (unless they state double insulated)

I new consumer unit is a good idea though

Thank you.
The idea is to have everything sorted before finishing the walls.
I will definitely change the consumer unit.

Might be in capping, you can be lucky, use the old cable to pull the new one in and some lube will help

how would you do it?
solder the new wire to the old wire and pull it thru?

And if it breaks off, chisel the wall out

I usual strip both ends and make a loop and loop together, make sure it is smooth, no sticky out wires, tape up, keep new cable flat, free of twists, needs two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back