Replacing wall mounted room thermostat - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, new on here so hopefully I have put this in the right place!

Basically I need to replace my ancient room thermostat that has stopped working. I have a conventional boiler with a hot water tank in the loft and the boiler heats both hot water and central heating.

I have removed the wall mounted room thermostat (acl ts142) and was wondering what type I needed to replace this with.

I have 3 wires coming out the wall behind the thermostat, Red, Black and Green. Presuming that this is live, neutral and earth, I am unsure as to what type of unit I can replace that with as most units seem to require 3 different wires.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If I remember your original stat correctly it should have 4 wires.

Call from timer
Switched live to controls
Earth
Neutral

So with three wires you are either missing the earth or the neutral.

Which is it?

Time fort some back tracking.

There were only 3 wires attached, to terminals one two and three. In the instructions inside the casing for the old one it says "always connect neutral to 4". The unit it's self has a wire running from terminal 2 where neutral was connected to terminal 4. This wire looks factory fitted, runs underneath all other components and seems to have a small resistor or something on it! Any the wiser?!

Sponsored Links
There were only 3 wires attached, to terminals one two and three. In the instructions inside the casing for the old one it says "always connect neutral to 4". The unit it's self has a wire running from terminal 2 where neutral was connected to terminal 4. This wire looks factory fitted, runs underneath all other components and seems to have a small resistor or something on it! Any the wiser?!
Are the terminals labelled (apart from the numbers) or is there a wiring diagram on inside of case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back