Replastering chimney breasts, damp/salts on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this question has been asked a hundred times on these forums, but always seems to get different answers...

Im getting the chimney breast replastered this weekend (father in law is a builder) but am just wanting to know the best way to plaster over...

Should i be knocking the parts shown in the photos back to brick?

I dont want to get it plastered and then have to get it done again 6 months down the line....

Thoughts Please... Cheers.

Also, this is the view of the current plaster, is this a lime plaster underneath that has been skimmed over?

Sponsored Links
Chimney was blocked up and had an electric fire, we have ripped out so it's back to original so take it the damp was due to no ventilation

Sponsored Links
Smoke test and sweep all your flues, and check the correct terminals are in place on the stack.

Why does your chimney breast jog out ? Is that a mantle?

How many flues are in that c/breast?

Usually, to make a good job,its best to hack off the whole c/breast and any adjacent areas, and render up in S&L, or S&L&C. and a remedial skim.

Cant tell for sure what the float coat is - probably gypsum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back