Repoint now or next year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if our wall needs repointing now or could it wait till next year? Any chance serious problems could occur if left? It looks the same as last year and we have had no leaks or damp. It's a cavity wall.

I am thinking of getting an extension done next year so it would be better to do it then.

A quick (maybe cheap?) fix for now might be to protect the effected areas with external wall insulation? I am happy to be told this is a dumb idea though...
PXL_20210718_141718117.jpg
PXL_20210718_141734358.jpg
PXL_20210718_141745691.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perhaps just fill in the holes for now then redo it all next year?

As Matty lad said.

The problem with having the holes there is that you could end up with a wasps nest inside or other critters you'd rather not have in your walls.

The re-point can wait, just fill the holes, Screwfix do cement in a mastic tube which works quite well

Sponsored Links
They aren't very pretty bricks, and if you are considering external insulation, they would be covered anyway eventually.

A quick fix would be silicone, if you will insulate over them after you extend.... and it would be super easy to do. 1 year and it won't shrink by enough to cause any issues

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back