Repurposing disused gas pipe

Sponsored Links
Fitted many gas pipes..removed many gas pipes..never seen one yet with any sign of oily substance.methane has no smell.The sulphur compound is added to give it a smell.200mm /15mm ex gas pipe is not going to effect water quality in any way shape or form

Sponsored Links
It's a regional thing I think, according to where the gas originated from, but it does occur. That's why Siemens recently had to change the diaphragm material in their gas valves - said oily substance was making them stick, causing boiler breakdowns

It's a regional thing I think, according to where the gas originated from, but it does occur. That's why Siemens recently had to change the diaphragm material in their gas valves - said oily substance was making them stick, causing boiler breakdowns
Everyday is a schoolday..Thankyou

That is in the gas rather than on the inside of pipes put there by the pipe makers. A good flush through will rid of any oily stuff in the pipe. Yes you are right, gas valve makers did have problems with differing types of gas.

It's 300mm of pipe for heaven's sake, nothing to worry about. You consume dirtier stuff when you drink from pub glasses!

But your post suggests that you’re only going through a 200-300mm slab and then connecting onto that stub of pipe both ends to pipe up the water!

So, on that basis... drilling a 25mm hole, to take 22mm pipe through a slab of concrete is no sweat!?
It passes between joists, through floor void, through a wall and into a concrete flooring under my stairs where it turns vertically.

If it was through a slab or wall, I'd totally agree, but it's an awkward position to get chase out the existing pipe.

I’ve used old gas runs for a cold water supply to the boiler when pressuring heating systems but never for potable water. Suppose you could install a filter tap if your unsure.
Just be careful you don’t end up with what’s known as a Jewish shower.

Oh, jesus. :cautious:
Didn't he bath in water/wine ? Anyway I have to hold my hands up about the smell comment - didn't read the OP properly and was referring to steel pipe ( that I used as a temporary connection to a tap once ) that ponged :unsure:. Luckily it was in situ only for a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back