Reroof regularisation and loft insulation (how much should I add?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've had my entireroof replaced last summer (only felt, batten and tiles)
I didn't know at the time but I now know I should have had building regulation approval which should have cost me £200

Regularisation will now cost me £300 (which I'm ok with); I also know they'll only be looking at loft insulation.

I currently have different thickness of insulation:
- some places with 270mm (or maybe slightly less) of insulation which had been boarded over
- some places with 270mm but not boarded over
- some places with less than 100mm and boarded over
- I cannot really see what there is at the eaves as the roof pitch is quite low and it would be difficult for someone to add something there

Are building control likely to ask me to top up insulation to 270mm?

I also got this online quote from a company that can access the Green Home Scheme:
£345 payable after the grant voucher is applied
The quote mentions topping up to 270mm, but I'm unsure what that means and what materials they'll use; are they just unrolling fiberglass into the loft? Are there other materials available that don't release fibers into the air?
Is there any special tecnique that could be used to access the lowest points?
I know I can just ask them, but I would like to get some more info before...

Is it worth considering doing the work myself?

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpg
    IMG_8461.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 135
  • insulation.JPG
    insulation.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Why do you want to regularise it now?

Sponsored Links
My interpretation and my old colleagues is that it doesn't need B Regs where it is a non vaulted type pitched roof, ie large open roof void below, however my old boss disagreed with that so it didn't really make any difference, so I still had to inspect them. Have you checked with your local authority to see how they interpret the regs and if they require an app.

My interpretation and my old colleagues is that it doesn't need B Regs where it is a non vaulted type pitched roof, ie large open roof void below, however my old boss disagreed with that so it didn't really make any difference, so I still had to inspect them. Have you checked with your local authority to see how they interpret the regs and if they require an app.

Yes, it requires an application because the works were done on more than 25% of the surface of the roof (all of it)

I know an indemnity is about 50£ but I know some people (especially first time buyers) can get nervous on this kind of things + having building approval might give them the (probably false) reassurance that the roof was done by professionals (spoiler alert: they certainly were not)

Stop worrying and live your life. No-one will bother. If you sell in the future the roof condition may get surveyed, but the likelihood of any issue coming to light that could stall a sale regarding lack of BC application for a re-roof is IMHO somewhere between not-a-lot and zero. Even if a potential buyers surveyor did pick it up and buyers mortgage co wanted a cert, you could say any indemnity is the buyers problem.

I am with frutbunn - I think a repair of a roof with similar materials doesn't require BC.

Yes, it requires an application because the works were done on more than 25% of the surface of the roof (all of it)
My interpretation is that it is not a thermal element, the insulation is at ceiling level and it is the ceiling not the roof that constitutes the thermal element. Flat roofs, vaulted ceiling etc I would class as thermal elements and B regs would apply, however its all irrelevant if you boss takes a different view, possibly due to the fees chargeable!!
B Regs can apply under Part A Structure if there is an increase or decrease in loading. In the case of decreased loading its for wind uplift, though I tended not to notice these if I drove past one!

My interpretation is that it is not a thermal element, the insulation is at ceiling level and it is the ceiling not the roof that constitutes the thermal element. Flat roofs, vaulted ceiling etc I would class as thermal elements and B regs would apply, however its all irrelevant if you boss takes a different view, possibly due to the fees chargeable!!
B Regs can apply under Part A Structure if there is an increase or decrease in loading. In the case of decreased loading its for wind uplift, though I tended not to notice these if I drove past one!

Are you a building inspector?
Do you know if getting building approval and upgrading the loft insulation will be automatically reflected on the EPC rating, or are they completely different things?

Seriously, forget about it. If it did arise during a sale (it won't) just purchase an indemnity insurance.

Just insulate the loft. You don't need an inspector to come and see that the loft in insulated.

There is no actual requirement to insulate the loft anyway, the obligation is consider whether it needs insulating or not.

Do you know if getting building approval and upgrading the loft insulation will be automatically reflected on the EPC rating, or are they completely different things?
Simple answer no and they are separate things.
I've had another look through the statutory instrument, firstly I'm still of the opinion that the renewal of a pitched roof covering where the insulation is at a lower separate ceiling level does not require a B reg as it is not work to the thermal element, but I know some LA's take a different view and ask for an app.
However, regardless of the above different interpretations, if the insulation has previously been brought up to current Part L standards before the roof covering work, in such cases this would not fall into the definition of building work as no additional work to upgrade the insulation will be required and no B Reg app is required.
Simple answer, top it up to 270mm whenever you like and if anyone asks, you did months before the roof covering was replaced.

@woody - I think that shows @frutbunn interpretation is correct. A "thermal element" ....which separates a thermally conditioned part of the building.... So if there is adequate ceiling insulation the roof void above is not a thermally conditioned part of the building (a conditioned space) and hence the roof is not a thermal element, hence no app needed.

Yeah, like everyone else in England and Wales
I hadn't realised you have worked in every local authority building control section in England and Wales!

@woody - I think that shows @frutbunn interpretation is correct. A "thermal element" ....which separates a thermally conditioned part of the building.... So if there is adequate ceiling insulation the roof void above is not a thermally conditioned part of the building (a conditioned space) and hence the roof is not a thermal element, hence no app needed.
That's how I interpret it as did other colleagues, though you could make an argument that the entire roof construction including the ceiling is all one element, this is the view my old boss took, though this may have been swayed somewhat by the fee chargeable for one quick visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back