Resin fixing studs into wall: Depth of hole to secure timber wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to secure a timber wall plate to a solid wall. Timber is 225x75 and I have m12 Steel threaded bar with washers and bolts. I have the raw plug chemical resin and just need to know how deep the hole in the wall would need to be to hold the large timber over a span of 3.1m.

Sponsored Links
Depends in part on the wall. If it's a modern double skin hollow cavity wall you would normally would want to avoid breaking through into the cavity, (which will waste a lot of resin), so your hole would be drilled something like 85 to 90mm deep (a standard brick is 4in or 102.5mm deep). On multiple skin Victorian buildings with no cavity or solid concrete you can go deeper.

As stated , solid wall can mean many things ,
my thermalite blocks were 265mm but no amount of resin would hold so bolted right thru wall for wall plate .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back