Restore old pine doors and furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Ive just had some old pine doors stripped. They have a nice grain and Id like to bring out the best in them - so I want a nice glossy wax finish. This has started my realising that all my pine furniture (kitchen table, coffee table, cupboards etc...) are looking really tired and dull. Id like to get a nice wax gloss finish on everything, but I dont want to lose the nice patternation on the furniture. Are there any simple guides to restoring pine furniture? Ive recently bought some Fiddes Stripped Pine wax and a buffing brush drill attachment, but I dont want to start without finding more about how to do this. For example - if I sand the furniture this would remove the patternation wouldnt it? Is it simple a case of applying the wax and buffing?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Patina is the antique trade's posh way of describing muck! Sanding will destroy it. Most waxes are an amalgam of three types of wax; carnauba, bees and paraffin. A polished wax surface depends on the wax being burnished (brush on a drill) and the higher the percentage of carnauba wax in the wax polish you apply the higher the gloss you can achieve

Hi all,
Ive just had some old pine doors stripped. They have a nice grain and Id like to bring out the best in them - so I want a nice glossy wax finish. If I sand the furniture this would remove the patternation wouldnt it?
The patternation (not patination) is what you get when wood grain meets a refractive coating like varnish or wax. (Staining also helps)
Sanding it would remove the coating and make the wood look duller, yes, but coating it again would bring it back again.
Is it simple a case of applying the wax and buffing?
Pretty much, yes! You're not likely to get a gloss finish with wax though. Even the hardest wax on wood is likely to look satin. For gloss you need varnish or shellac.

Sponsored Links
I've used Fiddes wax on stripped pine doors and would recommend it.

My doors were in fairly poor condition. I sanded them with a hand sanding block, starting with 80 grit, then 120, then finishing with wire wool.

If you stand the tin of wax in hot water for a while before you use it, you'll find it goes on more easily. Apply one coat with a cloth, leave for 30 mins or so then buff up (also with a cloth, not a drill attachment). Apply another coat, leave as long as you like, then buff again. It gives a most attractive, subtle sheen, in my opinion.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back