Restoring a cocktail cabinet myself - should I attempt it?

Glad to hear that it's progressing well, so far.

Cellulose thinners are pretty horrible and attack a lot of compounds. Normally they advise using nitryl gloves when handling them as they can attack lower grades of rubber (such as Marigolds), leaching out any plasticisers

Best "abrasive" for keying the surface is one of the non-woven fabric types, such as 3m Scotch sell - a relatively cheap version is sold by Toolstation as "Fit for the Job" sanding pads. Less risk of going through that ultra thin veneer surface with them

Yes it's nasty stff, although effective. It ate through my nitrile gloves eventually, so I tried washing up gloves for comparison (Robust by Aurelia, which proved the toughest I've seen so far - except this!). I think if I changed the nitriles often, it would be fine.

I'm fairly new to varnishing, so should I buy a particular brand, or even a spray on varnish or lacquer, if that's better? I'm hoping to avoid brush lines of course.

And should I sand between coats?

I'll begin by using "tacky cloth" to get rid of any surface dust, too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roger, good article you linked to there. I'll give that a try soon and post my results.

Sponsored Links
One hint about using 4in rollers - the ones with the rounded ends can leave visible tracks with stains and varnishes. I find that going to concave-ended ones like these Rota ones from Tool Station cure that tendency

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back