Restrictor Elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone asked me yesterday what the purpose of the restrictor elbow on a gas fire was.

I was tempted to state the bleedin' obvious "to restrict the gasflow" but I restrained myself and said I don't know but I'd ask someone who does :LOL:

So ... "What is the purpose of the restrictor elbow on a gas fire?"

MW

Sponsored Links
its main purpose is to look really dated and be a bit of a pain in the arse to carpet fitters.

its secondary purpose is for morons and apprentices to use their pump pliers on the nut when removing it thereby completely ****ing it so no one else can use the proper spanner on it.

Oh, thanks Nickso I'll look REALLY intelligent telling them that :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
No, I'm REALLY asking ... I have nothing to do with gas fires so have never seen one ... Other than in installations where it's all connected up.

Okay, so the name may give the game away but I thought I'd ask someone who knows rather than attempting to make something up :LOL:

I really would like to know please chaps/chapesses.

MW

Well its not to restict the gas flow as such . It has another screw inside which is to isolate gas supply to the fire so it can be removed for servicing.

So it's a decorative isolation valve. Why don't they call it an isolation elbow then to make things simple :LOL:

Thanks

MW

Its actually called a kit 32 which makes it even clearer what its for :confused: :confused: :LOL:

kit 32 it may be.
I've never heard or it.
its an r/e which is to say it is an isolation valve.
I've only been doing this coming on 30 years.
don't quite undstd al th acronyms & abrations.

whb ?

Used to be a big book with all the numbers of all the fittings it issued by the manufactures .
All the gas regions had there own variations on certain things and if you look in the bes catalogue some are still refered to as North Thames pattern.
The chrome pipe that came with it was a em57.
Sockets where number 1, elbows number 12`s ,tees where 24`s.
Number 2 was iron to copper as was a number 14.
It actual made it quite easy to identify some obscure fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back