Retaining Wall - Driveway - Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are an inexperienced couple who has had a driveway installed for approximately 10 years without planning permission.

We have been advised that we should have sought permission from the council when another Neighbour reported the work. However basically what we did was have a digger come into the front garden and remove the soil and put in a 8 feet retaining wall. Our neighbour did the work for us and he is a builder (I know now to get a professional in!! However, can't change the past).

I actually don't think the work he did was inferior in any way - just that we needed permission and didn't get it in advance. The wall is very sturdy and has iron post etc.

I have a couple of questions:

1) In Scotland do we need permission for this wall currently 8 feet high and 3 meters from the house.

2) If we reduce the height of the wall to less than 6 feet would this avoid the need for planning permission? It would be fairly easy to do this.

I will post a picture to more clearly describe what is going on.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jodie

Sponsored Links
No nothing. A daft buyers solicitor may bring it up in the course of a sale if a daft buyers surveyor picks up on it. But their invalid concerns can just be dealt with by the legislation I posted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back