Retaining wall ideas please? Rough cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So we have a rubbish garden and were going to terrace in levels but decided to have one big area dug out so we got more space.

Now the digger man has said this needs retaining and not to leave it long. I agree.

My question is, how much would this cost to get done by someone and if I done it myself would I get away with those 200x100 Wickes sleepers laid horizontally to form a back and two sides for the area. Also must they be secured to the ground with rods?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's hard to judge the scale in the photo, but I fear you may need something MUCH MUCH more substantial than sleepers.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's 180cm high and 480cm wide. Also about 340cm down both sides.

May have bitten off more than I can chew here.

Sponsored Links
Consider using gabions.
Question really is whether you can calculate yourself what is needed or whether a structural engineer's report is needed.
Looks like reasonably solid chalk under a thin layer of soil. So it may be more solid than 180cm of soft soil. But how that affects the calculations I really don't know.

A retaining wall 6ft high must be designed by a competent person. Guesstimates will not do at that sort of size.

Thanks for replies.

So the wall would be under 6ft and because we live by the hills it is made up of chalk and clay, a thin layer of topsoil was added to allow grass I think.

It all seems secure but I'll look into gabions.

Needing to keep prices as low as possible so any engineers would be out of the question financially.

Many thanks

You need something like this

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0839.JPG
    IMG_0839.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 304
That looks really good.

I've been told I need the hollow blocks with rebar though I'm not sure if I have to if the footings are good.

Only other issue is that I can't dig deep footings. The digger have got to very hard soil/chalk so digging a trench may be difficult.

That's the block the builder quoted for so he obviously feels it won't topple over.

Thanks

Whilst it may look good its pretty suspect if that's the finished article. 9" blockwork is ok for retaining 2 maybe 3 feet but that looks more like 5. If its still standing plumb in 10 years its purely down to good luck. Lets hope there are no small kids playing near it.

Matt I know you've been given a hard time by me and others but that I because we have seen walls fail like this. Also we don't want to put a spec on an open forum where it will appear in search results forever and others looking similar information take it as being suitable.

If you are going to go ahead with the wall anyway without an engineer I have sent you a spec of a similar wall as a guide via a pm.

Last edited:
The wall is reinforced with concrete with a steel/iron mesh.

Attachments

• 20141010_100155.jpg
    20141010_100155.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 20141010_160715.jpg
    20141010_160715.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 289

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back