retaining wall woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
2 years ago my sister had her garden lowered by around 80cm to the same level as her patio, which resulted in all the gardens around her being at a higher level level. To support the sides she had a builder in who suggested having sleepers put in, which she did. Unfortunately the space between the sleepers and the egde of her garden was about 1.5 to 2ft (the builder said he coudnt put them any closer because going too close to the edge of the garden/fence would result in more pressure on the sleepers???), this resulted in her losing a significant amount of footage from her lawn.

This year some of the sleepers started cracking and bowing and looked like they would collapse so she had another builder in to look at having a retaining wall built.
when he started the work it turned out that their was no drainage at all and no waterproof membrane etc behind the sleepers, also the sleepers had not been treated and the posts he used to support the sleepers were on the inside, between the sleepers and the fencing and they were rotten. Also the garden got heavily waterlogged.

She gave the builder the go ahead to build the restaining wall and to sort out the drainage problem in her garden. Halfway through the job their was a trust issue with the builder but ill spare you the deatails. the end result is that because of the trust issue she is now doubting the work that has been carried out.
which is as follows:-

The wall extends both sides of her garden and the back of her garden, at all sides her garden is lower than her neighbours gardens. The height of the wall ranges from 400cm-800cm either side and 800cm at the back.
It is constructed from 2 skins, the back skin consists of some sort of block, layed on their sides and built up to 2 brick levels from the top, here they are finished off with bricks. The front skin is from house bricks. the 2 skins are joined together 2 bricks from the top with house bricks. The 2 skins under this 2 brick level are not joined together in any way but are butted up against each other, with a small gap no more than 2mm in places between them.
Their is a concrete foundation below the wall which extends about 150 mm either side of the wall(only checked in one place).
Their is a small gap of 4-5 inches between the wall and the bottom of the fences, this was left because the builder said that room would need to be left for the fences to move?. This space had been backfilled from top to bottom with sand, at first the builder was not going to back-fill it with anything and just leave a gap, but when questioned further he said he would fill it with something and the sand seemed to be the closest thing at hand(with a little cement thrown in for good measure).
Their is no waterproofing membrane or cover on any brickwork and at the moment no drainage. He did say he would put weeping holes in for drainage when he had finished.
Also the wall is sloping inwards in most places towards the lawn but only by 5-10mm.
oh and the length of the wall is 25ft at the sides and 37ft at the back.

Would you say that the retaining wall he has built is sufficient to do the job?
Should their be expansion joints in the wall, and if so how can i spot them?(the side wall is partialy constructed, 1/2 way to finished height at the moment and i cant see any expansion joints)
would a drainage pipe been better behind the wall due to the problem with her garden becoming waterlogged (he was going to do the drainage in the garden too but i dont have details of how he was going to do this).
Is their anything else wrong with the build?

Sorry about the long winded explanation but i wanted to give you as much info as possible.

Sponsored Links
the wall sounds fine to me and, without sounding rude, nit picking about a 5-10mm run out on a retaining wall is a bit o.t.t. it is a garden wall not an architectural masterpiece.

a damp proof membrane could be useful if you were separating soil from habitable space, via a retaining wall but not on a garden wall for heavens sake. they're outdoors, in the rain, getting wet.
weep holes may be useful though. i would add, an enginnering spec' brick with a tiled crease helps preserve a wall from the elements and prolong its life span.

i think the problems you are having with a soggy lawn are perpetuated from digging the original soil away. in other words your own fault. why in gods name didn't she just build a retainer in front of the patio?

noseall said:
the wall sounds fine to me and, without sounding rude, nit picking about a 5-10mm run out on a retaining wall is a bit o.t.t. it is a garden wall not an architectural masterpiece.

Fair enough, but i know sod all about retaining walls tbh, so it may have appeared a bit picky, but as i mentioned their have been a few trust issues withthis guy, hence the questions

i think the problems you are having with a soggy lawn are perpetuated from digging the original soil away. in other words your own fault. why in gods name didn't she just build a retainer in front of the patio?

originally their was a retaining wall in front of the patio, but one of the kids had an accident on the steps, hence the getting rid of it.

But thanks for your answer, itll put her mind at rest about whats been done so far

FYI, not wanting pick nits, but please learn to use the correct spelling in your posts, as it makes them a little annoying to read (at least, for those of us who think these things actually matter these days): that is, "there" instead of "their". Thanks.

Good luck with the wall though. Have to agree, digging out the entire garden was plain nuts, and must look awful too......

Sponsored Links
Retaining walls dont need damp proofing membranes/paints, they are put in to prevent water leaching salts through the wall.
Weepholes are important they prevent the build up of water pressure behind the wall which can lead to it failing/cracking.
A granular backfill is usual (normally peashingle with topsoil over)
The fence should not be build ontop of the retaining wall, it should have its own footings behind the wall with room to replace/maintain.
Footings for the wall are a little shallow but should be fine for the height it retains.
They probably should have put in some movement joints every 6m or so.

thanks for the reply static
sounds like he did an acceptable job then.

thanks again:)

an enginnering spec' brick with a tiled crease

is this the common thing i see round here with a blue brick on top of a tile on top of a wall???

the mortar for the tile is then chamfered to the blue brick for the water to run off and the tile extends about 15mm over the wall to act as a drip edge?

ColJack said:
an enginnering spec' brick with a tiled crease

is this the common thing i see round here with a blue brick on top of a tile on top of a wall???

the mortar for the tile is then chamfered to the blue brick for the water to run off and the tile extends about 15mm over the wall to act as a drip edge?

aye, spot on. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back