retaining wall

Sponsored Links
My apologies if I offended anyone.
Thermo's suggestion is a good one.

No offence, just that your statement was misleading and inaccurate.

In what way inaccurate?

How much is a load of blocks up your way then?

Concrete for this job £50 per cubic meter.(35 newton,local cost) Less than 10 cubic meters will be sufficient.
The steel £200.
We would use about 4 sheets of A393 mesh for a wall of this nature folded in a pressbrake.

Concrete for this job £50 per cubic meter.(35 newton,local cost) Less than 10 cubic meters will be sufficient.

It's already been suggested the OP needs approx 1.5m³. Are you seriously suggesting you can get a part load of C35/C25 readymix for £50 a cube?

It's already been suggested the OP needs approx 1.5m³. Are you seriously suggesting you can get a part load of C35/C25 readymix for £50 a cube?

The guy is talking bawlix.

It would probably need pumping...etc, etc.

£700, two days work, what a farce! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
concrete is over £100 a metre here.

drainage holes i had in mind were as mentioned earlier.small diameter plastic pipe from the garden side through the wall.leave an overhang if poss

ok 400 plus blocks at £15.00 a metre,10 blocks to a sq metre sq.thats £600.00.

etc etc

Thanks for all your thoughts gentlemen,didn't realise I'd stir up some disagreements, but everyone has the right to an opinion. Not sure now about whether I've picked the right man but he can start in two days and with ever more rain on the horizon my garden is disppearing before my eyes! I would add a picture if I knew how!

The guy is talking bawlix.

It would probably need pumping...etc, etc.

£700, two days work, what a farce! :rolleyes:

I didn't say £700 for two days work.
I said £700 for materials.

Do you know the cost of a load of blocks?

OOh dear.
Hope you will keep us posted with some more pics as work progresses.
Good luck.

hes going to struggle getting that done in the ground conditions at present, even when the water has subsided, how the hell is he going to do the foundations with the water table so high?

another option would be to use oak sleepers piled into the ground, may well work out cheaper in both materials and labour, and they will cope better with that sort of river level over a longer period.

you are definetly going to need a proper land drainage system behind the wall.

how the hell is he going to do the foundations with the water table so high?

That's easy. ;)
But I can't wait to see how her builder goes about it. :D

As above i`d personally go with the railway sleepers rather than the wall. Its going to be difficult to construct in brick/block at present, without tempoary diversion of the stream around the works and if you are doing that you might as well go with the railway sleepers.

Norcon, i`d guess you'd set your front face of formwork to keep the water at bay and dry out whats behind. Either way i`d rather watch than do any of that.

If i was doing this cast in situ i`d want drain holes with granular materiual to stop water pressure building up (or a perforated pipe installed, discharged outside of the wall section), i`d also want it L shaped.

For 6.5k i`d not want to be doing it again. But if it were me i'd be driving some steel deep into the stream bed on your boundary line, and setting sleepers behind it.

noseall will disagree but its a tried and tested method! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back