Retrofit smart heating controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to retrofit smart heating controls to my central system.

System is pretty standard OFCH with (wet) underfloor heating downstairs (7 actuators, 6 analogue stats), 6 radiators and 2 towel rails upstairs (single analogue thermostat in landing) and a large hot water tank (single analogue stat on tank). Control is via a Horstmann 3 channel programmer.

Heating controller is located in utility room next to back door. Wiring center, UFH zone valve, UFH pump and manifold for underfloor heating is in cloak room, along with zone valves for radiators and hot water.

I had been looking at replacing ALL my controls with a Heatmiser neo system based around wired neoStats for room stats and upstairs stat, going to a UH8 wiring center and associated neoHub for remote control via smartphone. However looking through the documentation I can't see how I can control all 3 loops of the system correctly. While the UH8 can assign zone 8 for radiator control, surely using one of the other zones for hot water will switch on the UFH pump when the tank stat calls for the hot water tank to be heated?

The only way I can see around it (not fully understanding the Heatmiser system as yet!) is to continue to use the Horstmann controller for timed hot water and just pass through (always on) control of the UFH and radiators. But loosing remote hot water control seems a bit daft. I've probably missed something along the way!

Any suggestions? Or suggestions of a more appropriate system than Heatmiser for my purposes?

Sponsored Links
To further confuse matters the manual for the Heatmiser UH4 shows that it does exactly what I want, just fewer UFH zones than I need. I suppose I could link multiple actuators into zones but I'd really rather not do that!

Response from Heatmiser sales confirm that UH8 doesn't do what I want on its own, but I can use the neoStat-hw to control hot water directly and it will integrate with the rest of the system and neoHub for remote control.

Other than remote control, what are your goals? Are you comfortable at the moment? Is convenience the only objective. What is the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Other than remote control, what are your goals? Are you comfortable at the moment? Is convenience the only objective. What is the boiler?

Initially I set out to replace our current analogue thermostats with setback stats to save a little with our UFH, but they require a timeclock which we don't have the wiring to add with 3 core and earth throughout. Our house is built using bison units, so concrete floors upstairs = adding wiring is a major pain i.e. beyond what I'd attempt DIY at this point. Worth it for not sounding like I live with a herd of elephants I suppose!

Once I started looking at programmable 24v thermostats I found there isn't much choice and for a little more outlay I could have something like the Heatmiser system.

I am guilty of liking bells and whistles too. Would have loved to have gone Nest throughout but...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back