Retrospective Compliance with Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was approached by a friend at the weekend who came to me for advice. He has, as i'm sure many people must do, got a relative to relocate an extract fan and their electric shower in his bathroom without realising that this work is notifiable under the Building Regulations. The person who has done the work is happy that it is safe as he has done DIY electrics for many years prior to the Part P Regs but he is not a competant person so cannot certify the work. Obviously the work is complete now and so inspecting the work is going to be difficult, particularly with it being in a bathroom which has now been tiled. Legally i assume they should submit a retrospective application to the LA and get the work signed off but is this possible without ripping the fan and shower out and getting a qualified spark in to re-do the work? I'm not sure what to advise him to was looking for some advice from forum users?

Sponsored Links
Its a very common problem. Though often its because the 'electrician' or general contractor only informs the client after they've had the money that their Part P has lapsed, or the electrician has had to leave the country, etc, etc.

The 'correct' answer is that only an LABC officer can certify another person's work as being compliant with Part P.

Different areas seem to have different rules though, and very few of them will actually know enough about electrics to certify it themselves.

The friend should ask for a retrospective assessment, but they could quite legitimately require you to rip it all out or at the very least expose the cables so that they can see where they run etc.

Some areas might accept/require a test certificate from an electrician before they will certify anything. You may find that the LABC will accept a PIR test cert from a competent person as enough to certify it without a visit.

If the work was simple and everything is in order and easy to check, you might find a friendly scheme member who is willing to certify it as their own work, but to do so they are risking their livelihood/reputation so don't expect them to do it lightly (or that cheaply!).

Sorry I can't be more help. It is one of the problems that Part P has raised and that there doesn't seem to be a simple solution to (not sure if there is one).

In truth, the chances of anyone breaking down their door and arresting them are slim, and informing the LABC now could well lead to expensive consequences, but legally that would be the right choice.

How far were they relocated? How 'happy' is the relative that he complied with all relavent regulations rather than just doing it how he thought it should be?

Gavin

Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are not notifiable, even if they are in a bathroom. (page 8 of part P approved doc, note b)

So if the circuits were not extended, you're in the clear.

Stoday - depends how you define extending the circuits?

Bearing in mind i have little knowledge of electrical circuits so you're talking to a lay-man. Both the shower and extract fan have isolation switches. The cables between these switches and the units have been replaced as they weren't long enough for the new positions. THe wires between the control switches and the dist. board are as they were? Is this work notifiable or not?

Sponsored Links
The exemption from notification applies to

"1. Work consisting of—
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling; or
(ii) a consumer unit;
(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;"

so as this work did include the provision of new fixed cabling it was notifiable.

I think stoday’s comment was intended rather “tongue in cheek”! ;) I’m not a qualified spark but have good electrical knowledge & am familiar with Part P. As far as I’m aware, fixed cabling between the isolating switches & the units is part of the circuit so you’ve extended the circuits; it’s notifyable as far as I can see. I will probably get shot down in flames now! :rolleyes:

Simply put now, as it was notifiable before it was done unless done by a qualified electrician then now your friend has little choice but to notify the LABC and pay over £100 (not really what you want to spend is it?) or just forget about notification for something so small.

If the work is safe then the rest is just paper shuffling....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back