Retrospective planning

J

justlead1

Hi I built a 10m x 6m workshop / garage with planning and building regs (cavity block work renderered,insulation within cavity, radon membrane under concrete floor, slated pitched roof) I have now converted the unit into a studio flat. (shower room / WC and kitchen) but never applied for change of use. I wish to go legal. Any suggestion?

Sponsored Links
When is a workshop not a workshop?

When it a habitable dwelling and a separate address. :eek:

Cheeky boy.:cool:

Hi One could argue its the wife's workshop now. Would that stand up in court?

Cheeky Boy indeed, however I'd contact the planners anonymously and sound them out telling them you're thinking about doing it. You don't need to tell them your address but you'll need to give them an idea of the area so have a 'fake' address up your sleeve. They won't send the Planning Police out to check, they get plenty of queries like this all the time. Where are you in Cornwall? I'm in Devon if you need an application put together. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Hi. I think i am one step on from the last post. The change come a bout as i am semi retired. As a result i thought the extra income from the change via holiday accommodation would allow me to do what which i wished to do, rather than having to grind away earning extra income by other means. However a visit from the council tax dept, resulted in the number of the planning application being required. Whoops, this does not match the internal aspect of the building. Hence the original post. Any comments on the way forward would be greatly received.

Hi I know as much as, Its got to be legal before concil tax is payable.

The planing issues I would have thought were self evident you need to apply for the required permission.

More serious is the building regs issue - especially if the work does not comply to any life-safety requirements, and even more so if someone burns to death in the place in the meantime.

And any insurance will probably be invalid

Hi. I understand your concerns. However that if not an issue as it is not occupied, the construction has planning and building regs approved that covered foundations, radon barrier, block work and roof insulation, drainage, and roof truss calculations. Where it differs now is the garage doors have been removed and replaced with patio doors. Planning for change of use perhaps?
Any ideas?

Are means of escape adequate, measures to control fire spread and early warning of fire, and is there easy access for the fire service?

For planning, you will need to check the councils policy for this type of standalone flat - not so much what it looks like, but more so the impact on neighbours for its use as a flat ..... amenity, car parking, access etc

But you don't have planning permission or buildinge regs approval for the studio flat only the garage, even though you've added a flat above. If you want to run the flat as holiday accomodation you may have to apply for planning permission and a change of use to business as well as building regs regularisation, you'll need to talk to the planners. Different councils seem to have sllightly different policies and guidelines differ as to whether holiday accomodation is permitted in one area or another. Nobody from this forum will be able to advise you with any certainty whether you will need to apply or not. I've PM'd you!

Hi Thanks for your info. i will let you know the outcome. Good luck

You have three things to consider. Planning permission for the conversion to a habitable dwelling, (or annexe) planning for a change of use to a holiday let and building regs.

To take the first; when were the works completed? If more than 4 years ago you might be able to apply for a certificate of lawfulness rather than planning permission. And if you can prove the works were 4 years ago then the procedure is a formality and the certificate is automatic.

That leaves the change of use to a holiday let. If this took place more than 10 years ago then you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness. If not you need to make a formal application. This might be easier if the works element above is allready settled.

The building regs can be sorted by making an application for regularisation. This is the most straightforward bit really because you aren't asking the inspector if he likes what you've got or what you are doing - you just demonstrate compliance and you will get your certificate. Only thing is you might need to do some opening up or change one or two things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back