Reverse Circulation

Sponsored Links
replace the gate valve with a bypass valve.
it may be necessary to fit a fit an nrv valve as said before.
in the mean time turn down the gate valve all the way & open it 1/2 turn.

D_Hailsham";p="962313 said:
Apollo Fanfare! Got one myself. They are fairly fussy on the setting of the bypass valve. It should be adjusted so the flow/return temperature difference at the boiler is 9°C. The drop across each radiator should still be 11°C.

Would a bypass valve as you suggest satisfy the "fussy" boiler?

Sponsored Links
Is there a problem having some radiator returns (see first post diagram) between the bypass and the boiler on the main return?

Yes as the water then back can feed up them.
The bypass should be the first connection after the pump on the flow and the last connection on the return pipe.
After ALL HEATING connections come into one pipe .
Then this one pipe connects into a tee with the hot HOT WATER return which should not have any tees in it
With the remaining connection on tee running back to the boiler with the other side off bypass teeing into it between the boiler connection and where you joined the HW AND CH returns.

Have a look at the myson appolo 30/50s drawings on www.partsarena.com/baxi very self explanatory just ignore the line for draincocks

Are you sure that that is the return for those rads very easy to miss a pipe crossing under floors or even another tee into this pipe underfloor .
But your problem is definetley a return in the wrong place.
I would not fek about with non return valves etc repipe it proper

I am pretty sure. The pipes are above my head in a cellar. Four small bore returns from 4 radiators (at the point marked on the diagram). The 4 flows are just past the heating 2-port valve (again as marked). I can trace the ground floor ones (flow and return) to the radiators themselves and the upstairs two go to the first floor, to the 2 radiators up there. These are all at the rear of the house, where the bolier, cylinder are. It is those at the front that heat up with the HW.

As Namsag pointed out there is only one thing that can cause reverse circulation, bad installation with commons not correctly connected. If you cant easily indentify the heating returns the easiest and only answer is to re-run the cylinder return and by-pass return connection, what ever way you attempt to resolve the problem it will involve quite a bit of work.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back