Rewire Regulations

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would write him a letter explaining that you are extremely unhappy with the quality of his work, the damages he caused etc....

I would tell him that you have been advised by qualified electricians that his work does not meet current 18th edition regulations on several counts, not least the re-siting of the accessories that is not covered by any regulation, that it is only for new-builds but even then it is only advisory.

Ask him to quote regulations that back up his installation decisions.

Advise him you are not prepared to pay another penny to him and that you will be contacting the CAB, Trading Standards, the CPS and the local press to highlight his wrong-doings.

If you feel brave, you could then advise him that you will be proceeding to bring a case to the small claims court, but you would need to give him an opportunity to rectify the issues before doing this. Whether you want to let this cowboy back into your house is another thing.

I am assuming your losses exceed the amount you have withheld from him?

CAB have advised to pay him and then send a letter by recorded delivery detailing the issues. If I don't pay him, I'd be breaking my contract (even though I've explained the website on the quotes and invoices don't match the website the T&Cs are in) and he could charge extras as detailed in them. If I didn't pay, he could also pursue a CCJ against me, which even a whiff of one of those could cost me my job as I work in the debt industry.

How many times did he visit the house and inspect the work?

He was supposedly there from 930am to 330pm Tuesday to Friday for 2 weeks. He originally told me he'd be there until 5-530pm each day which sounded great as I get home at 4-430pm so we could have chatted about progress and plans for the following day but he'd buggered off before I got home.

On the first day, he left our freezers unplugged, which wasn't a good start.
I then texted him this about the sockets:
"Is it the regs that require the sockets to be so high?"
To which he responded:
"It is I'm afraid. Its disabled heights 450mm to the bottom and 1200mm to the top."

Edit. I see you're taking about a Quality Supervisor. I wasn't notified one ever came

Last edited:
He was supposedly there from 930am to 330pm Tuesday to Friday for 2 weeks. He originally told me he'd be there until 5-530pm each day which sounded great as I get home at 4-430pm so we could have chatted about progress and plans for the following day but he'd buggered off before I got home.
The question was about how many times this alleged "QS" (Qualified Supervisor"), not the electrician, visited your house - and I rather suspect that the answer is that this "QS" has never been anywhere near your house!

Kind Regards, John

"Is it the regs that require the sockets to be so high?"
To which he responded:
"It is I'm afraid. Its disabled heights 450mm to the bottom and 1200mm to the top."

what a numpty, making more work for himself and a mess to boot!

the worse thing is the ceiling. Im not generally a fan of artex patterns, but your ceilings are really quite detailed -how could he just decide to fit pendants in a different place given the artex pattern dictates where the light goes.

Electricians Ive used have always discussed these details with the client and are very careful about getting agreement on positioning...its just common courtesy.

I've just noticed the fuse seal on the floor with the crimp number that matches the ones on the meter. We had the previous owners prepayment meter taken out and a credit meter putting in last Tuesday.
Shouldn't the electrician be replacing that seal on the fuse?
Here's a closer image of the tails going into the fuse box (it's just bare metal without a grommet), along with images of the fuse and the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_165000.jpg
    IMG_20200122_165000.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 279
what a numpty, making more work for himself and a mess to boot!

the worse thing is the ceiling. Im not generally a fan of artex patterns, but your ceilings are really quite detailed -how could he just decide to fit pendants in a different place given the artex pattern dictates where the light goes.

Electricians Ive used have always discussed these details with the client and are very careful about getting agreement on positioning...its just common courtesy.

Exactly! Why cut out new holes for sockets and switches when they're already there and you can save yourself work? Some places he had 2 goes at cutting a new hole as he hit the studwork and had to adjust the cut left or right, leaving a bigger hole than necessary. If I was doing the job, I'd have asked the customer if they wanted to keep the existing heights or have them higher. I'd be pi$$ed if they wanted new holes making as I'd be having 2 cups of tea less that day!
I'm not a huge fan of artex, especially that swirl or fan pattern but I actually like the pattern that's there, and I'd much prefer it over a smooth painted ceiling.
I could attempt to patch it up but the main issue is the coving on the landing as I have no chance of matching that up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_165607.jpg
    IMG_20200122_165607.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20200122_165618.jpg
    IMG_20200122_165618.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 269
I've asked him when the QS attended and he said "at the end."
I then asked "
Another electrician has picked up a potential safety issue with the CU which is the tails from the meter going into the CU through a hole in the metal that is rough and doesn't have a grommet so in time, it could saw through the cable. There's also concern that the weight of the cables going into the CU could be pulling them down and out of it as there's nothing supporting them."
His response was, "I'll not be answering anymore questions until the the final invoice is paid."

I've asked him when the QS attended and he said "at the end."
Even if that is true (and it may well not to be), that doesn't sound like any sort of acceptable 'supervising' - and if the 'supervisor' was happy with the work that had been done, I seriously doubt that he should be a "QS" in the first place!

Kind Regards, John

His latest text:
"Yes coming on Friday and when we do the work and you have paid the final invoice we will try to claim I don't understand why you feel the need to ask so many questions I just haven't got the time to answer all these questions should be asked before the work as started. And the rewire is our property until it's paid so if there is any complications I'll rip the wires back out"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back