Rewiring advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,

I need help! I live in a house that is in need of full rewiring and modernising throughout. I was wondering if it would make sense to do my Kitchen and bathroom now as I desperately need to make these areas decent and fully functional, and then complete the other areas in the future when I have the means. Is that viable? Could that be done? What are the consequences? Please somebody, advise me.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have the space for it there's no reason why your electrician couldn't install a new CU, large enough to eventually take the whole house, alongside the existing one, start by just putting the new bathroom and kitchen circuits on it, and then move the others over at a later date.

As Mr. Sheds pointed out, installing two consumer units in tandem and running new circuits from one and existing circuits from another is one option. An alternative would be to run in conduit to all new accessories, and then have the wiring pulled in when the house in rewired, without the consequent damage to decor that you'd otherwise get from chasing the walls.

that's rather pointless..

you make a mess putting the conduit in now and run new cables to the bits, then the cables won't need replacing later when you do the other rooms..
whilst doing the other rooms, you need to chase the new cables in anyway.. so it defeats the object.

the kitchen is always a good room to put on it's own ring and radials..
ring for general sockets, radial/s for appliances, big radial for cooker....

Sponsored Links
Cables go from consumer unit to the first item on that circuit and assuming first item to be changed would be consumer unit then to install just a few cables would mean the work would could be repeated in lifting and replacing floor boards etc.

The bathroom will likely only have a single supply for lights and so not too much of a problem. The Kitchen is somewhat different needing three or more supplies.

It may be possible to install a distribution unit (Consumer unit) to just feed the kitchen. And depending on location you may be able to feed the bathroom from that unit.

On one large house I fitted three consumer units around the house all feed from a single 150A fused switch. Mainly so if required the single phase supply could be latter replaced with three phase.

But so much depends on design of house it is hard to tell anyone without going around a house how their house can be best split for part re-wires.

So best advice I can give is select an electrician and ask him to visit and advise on best route.

that's rather pointless..

you make a mess putting the conduit in now and run new cables to the bits, then the cables won't need replacing later when you do the other rooms..
whilst doing the other rooms, you need to chase the new cables in anyway.. so it defeats the object.

I suppose it depends if you need the new accessories to be functional straight away. For example, OP wants to redecorate a couple of rooms, budget is tight, so they may not be able to spend money on having the CU replaced right now. That's a problem, as any new wiring is likely to need RCD protecting.

However, if the OP is happy to have conduit drops installed to all existing accessory positions and draw in the old wiring for the time being, and install accessory boxes in new locations with no wiring going to them at the moment, the whole place could be rewired in one go at a later date. The only mess in the decorated rooms would be in taking the floor up, and as long as you choose a sensible floor covering or make preparations by putting in draw wires, this shouldn't be a problem.

Not that I do see your point, ColJack, I just wanted to offer an alternative option that may be cheaper in the short term!

Thank you so much everybody. Ban-all-sheds, your reply is very useful as I think that sounds like something that is practical. Col-Jack, are you an electrician?-I'm in Oldbury. Ericmark and electronicuk, I have to be honest, I didn't really understand the techi speak :) but I'm sure an electrician would know.

yes I am an electrician, but not Part P registered so I would have to do via the notification route.. which is about £40 for dudley council... :)

I'm in stourbridge so you're only up the road..

£40 is good - is that the rate they charge for people who can certify to BS 7671, or for anyone?

thats the notification fee for people they deem competent and who send in their own test results ( ie non part-P sparkies.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back