Rewiring an old ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to assist me with fitting a new ceiling light. The wires coming from the ceiling are in the picture.

They look old and dodgy. I tried wiring myself but didn't seem to work.

Any assistance would be greatful, I've attached pics of the old ceiling wiring and the new fittings.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 16590060874225173877740924327820.jpg
    16590060874225173877740924327820.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 16590061615123540768300493283617.jpg
    16590061615123540768300493283617.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I'm confused by the second photo of the light fitting. It looks like its already wired in to something?

Have you got a multi meter or something to check the wiring with? Looking at that i would expect the red and black cable to be the live and neutral, and the twin red cable to be the feed to the light switch to give you a switched live.

If that was the case, you would tuck the red cable with the choc block out of the way, connect the loose red cable to the L connection on your light, the black cable to the N connection on your light and the yellow and black cable to the earth connection on your light.

However, are you competent to do this and understand what you're doing?

I'm confused by the second photo of the light fitting. It looks like its already wired in to something?

Have you got a multi meter or something to check the wiring with? Looking at that i would expect the red and black cable to be the live and neutral, and the twin red cable to be the feed to the light switch to give you a switched live.

If that was the case, you would tuck the red cable with the choc block out of the way, connect the loose red cable to the L connection on your light, the black cable to the N connection on your light and the yellow and black cable to the earth connection on your light.

However, are you competent to do this and understand what you're doing?
I forgot to mention that the wires coming from the new fitting were my own doing, so please ignore. So the 2 red cables that are in the same connector in the picture are coming from 2 separate cables.

Hi all,

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to assist me with fitting a new ceiling light. The wires coming from the ceiling are in the picture.

They look old and dodgy. I tried wiring myself but didn't seem to work.

Any assistance would be greatful, I've attached pics of the old ceiling wiring and the new fittings.

Thank you :)
Apart from the obvious damage to the insulation I'd not be describing the existing wiring as dodgy. Personally I'd assess the damage properly and potentially put it right, either by shortening the wires to get rid of the damage or adding sleeving or as a last resort wrapping with some tape.
As to connexions; normally I'd say black to 'N' and exposed red to 'L', the 2 reds joined together stay as they are. However it looks like there may be another connector involved as part of the new fitting.

EDIT: I started writing almost as soon as OP posted but didn't complete and post until after lunch, I see other posts already raised similar points. I assume it's the wires entering from the bottom which are not part of the new fitting.
1659012580663.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you very much. Your very kind. I did try this however it didn't work, I'm presuming now it's the case of damaged copper cabling. I'll see if I can pull more of the cable through the ceiling and expose some fresh copper. Fingers crossed. :)

Thank you very much. Your very kind. I did try this however it didn't work, I'm presuming now it's the case of damaged copper cabling. I'll see if I can pull more of the cable through the ceiling and expose some fresh copper. Fingers crossed. :)
Do the other lights on the circuit work?
Before pulling any more through check out visible the damage, make sure the copper isn't broken at that point.
Do you have any test kit and did the previous light fitting work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back