Rewiring Hair Straightners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, this is to liverpool fan, my ghd s stopped working i wasnt as patient as you and cut the wire off, then panic and googled it, i ve read that you simply rewired it without a neutral, are they still ok- im just about to do it- but if your house burnt down i may reconsider!! thanks

please reply and put my mind at risk

p.s no more insurance fights over 'modified' plugs!!

Thanks again

frizzy hair!

Sponsored Links
rewired without a neutral????? They would never work.

What worries me is "they stopped working so i cut the wire off"

Why did you think cutting the wire off would help your situation?

You need to open the case were the wire goes in.
Then prepare the long bit of wire you cut off in the same way as the existing wires. Take out the stump wire and fit the long bit.

Or get someone who's done basic electrics to do it!

FatGit said:
Or get someone who's done basic electrics to do it!

Definitely take that option. No offence, but you clearly have no idea what you are doing and when you have wet hair and a p1ss-poorly modified hair straightener you are just asking for trouble. Another option is to just buy a new one, they aren't that expensive... I think... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
have to agree, get new ones, often things like this you either cant open them or find some bits left over when you close them

GHD starighteners are notoriously unreliable and often just pack up, usually preceded by some slight buzzing or crackling within the product its self. You should have just returned then to GHD for repair or replacement.

I have 4 females in my family so GHD's are mandatory :cry: I have had to send several of them back numerous times, but all have been repaired/replaced under warranty.

I am hoping the new generation they are now supplying are more reliable.

It is possible to replace the cable on the ghd straightners, but the room in the cable entry area is limited & you need to make soldered connections, so unless you are familiar with soldering then ask someone else or buy some new ones.

The cable of hair tools has to be the type that is very flexible, more so than ordinary flex. The wires are a loose fit in the outer sheath and lubricated with french chalk or similar. Otherwise the cable will weaken and fail where it goes into the handle.

There was a batch in the UK where the lubricant in the cable had been glued up with exudent from the poor quality "plastic" insulation. The dye from the insulation was staining the other wire. It may be that problem of poor quality cable has returned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back