Rewiring Hallway Lights in Victorian Terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to rewrite my hallway lights so that I can have a two-way switch in the landing, a two-way switch by my bathroom door. This would allow me to turn the hallway lights off from the hallway or upstairs (I always forget to turn the lights off and then realise once I'm upstairs).

Where do you start trying to trace the route that the wires take? We have an old Victorian terrace but I'm wondering if there is any way to avoid channeling a new path from the cables?

If we do, it's not the end of the world as the hallway/landing hasn't been painted/decorated since we moved in but I was hoping there might be a more elegant way of handling this.

Sponsored Links
There are so many different routes that the cables could take. Every house (espescially old ones) offer so many options.
Your best bet is to start at one switch and see which direction the cables go (they should go up or down), then you'll need to lift the floor above, or below and see where the little devil heads off to.

If that all sounds difficult, then you could investigate wireless switches, or get a competent electrician in. He/she will know a few wrinkles, if they are worth their salt.

There are so many different routes that the cables could take. Every house (espescially old ones) offer so many options.
Your best bet is to start at one switch and see which direction the cables go (they should go up or down), then you'll need to lift the floor above, or below and see where the little devil heads off to.

If that all sounds difficult, then you could investigate wireless switches, or get a competent electrician in. He/she will know a few wrinkles, if they are worth their salt.
I wait with a safety hat on for members to say this is not usual to have a switch on the upstairs for downstairs light.

... not usual to have a switch on the upstairs for downstairs light.

Always surprises me the number of houses that don't have a light switch by the front door. People seem to think it's acceptable to walk into a dark house and have to walk halfway down the hallway, even sometimes going through a vestibule door in the dark before arriving at the switch. And then a reverse fiasco when leaving the house in darkness.

I know this isn't answering the OP's question, just something that always bugs me. (Assuming the OP isn't actually wanting to "rewrite" the landing light ;))

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. Obviously I have every intention of rewriting my hallway lights...

Why is it unusual to have a light switch in the hallway that is on a two way switch and can be controlled from the landing?

The easy way to convert 1 way switch to 2 way switch is to add 3 core and E between the switches.

or consider a PIR switch?? much easier

How would this work in practice? The lights flick on when the switch detects a body and off after a certain amount of time?
Yes, that is what they do, but where would the PIR be located? If you had it downstairs you would not be any further forward than you are now (I mean, no switch from upstairs!). Do you’d need a second PIR upstairs, but turn the downstairs light will come on every time someone walks along the upstairs landing:rolleyes:

I’d say two switches is the option. Have your electrician tell you how he plans to solve it.. do share it with the forum, we like new ideas!

... or LED lamp (so cheap) that it doesn't really matter.

Some lights just need to be off of a night, regardless of cost.

Like some Christmas lights on the front of people's houses that we've had to suffer all blimin' night recently. After midnight, you just want the things off.

The spark came to take a look at the setup and explained that while he could do what we'd asked, it would be difficult and involved trying to run cable behind cornicing and pulling up the floorboards on the upstairs landing.

We decided that we could live without the two-way switch based on that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back