Rewiring Question

lux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought an old lamp and am rewiring it.

At the bulb-socket, there is only space for two wires. On the original wiring, someone had cut the ground wire. This then runs through to the base of the lamp. At the base, the wire cover is cut and slipped open. Here the two brown wires are cut and inserted into what looks like a fuse; the two greens are grounded on a small screw, and the blues run between the two ends of the wire covering. The other end of the whole three-core wire is then wired to the three-pong plug as usual. Can anyone tell me if this method is safe? Sorry if I haven't explained it well, I am new to this. Is the alternative to buy a new socket which has space for all three wires?
Thanks for your help,
LUX

Sponsored Links
lux said:
Hi, I bought an old lamp and am rewiring it.

At the bulb-socket, there is only space for two wires. On the original wiring, someone had cut the ground wire. This then runs through to the base of the lamp. At the base, the wire cover is cut and slipped open. Here the two brown wires are cut and inserted into what looks like a fuse; the two greens are grounded on a small screw, and the blues run between the two ends of the wire covering. The other end of the whole three-core wire is then wired to the three-pong plug as usual. Can anyone tell me if this method is safe? Sorry if I haven't explained it well, I am new to this. Is the alternative to buy a new socket which has space for all three wires?
Thanks for your help,
LUX
are you sure this isn't the lamp's switch?

the wiring isn't that old, its blue and brown. why are you rewiring it?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes. I guess that could be the switch. I'm rewiring it as when I bought it second-hand, the plug had been cut off. The thing that seemed odd to me was that the green ground wire had been cut so that only the brown and blue enter the bulb socket. As I'm a complete novice, I wasn't sure if this was normal. So, is it okay to just replicate the existing wiring, then? Thanks again.

As far as i'm aware, if its a plastic bulb holder, it wont have an earth terminal, so it would be better to use 2-core lamp flex, rather than 3-core. But I dont see a problem with cutting back the earth terminal on an appliance flex if its not required. Never do this with fixed wiring though.

Sponsored Links
I'm confused.

lux said:
the two greens are grounded on a small screw
lux said:
The thing that seemed odd to me was that the green ground wire had been cut so that only the brown and blue enter the bulb socket.
Where was the earth core cut?

Why are there two at the light?

Does the terminal on the light have an earth symbol next to it? Does it look like it's a proper feature manufactured into the light or a later addition?

ban, i took it to mean there are 2 earths present at the "switch/fuse thing", which makes sense - and the earth at the lampholder has been cut back as it isn't needed there.

Hi, thanks for your input all.

Yes, Crafty, the green cord has been cut where the wire goes into the bulb holder, ie, it is severed at the black casing, so only the flex and wire for the brown and blue go in.

At the base of the lamp, where the switch/fuse is, the two earth ends (it's just the single cord, cut in two) go into a plastic sleeve which was firmly attached to a small metal screw. This is screwed with a nut, into the actual metal base of the lamp, close to the switch.

It is quite an old lamp, sort of like an anglepoise and the base is heavy, perhaps iron.

I don't know if this helps. Sorry the description is confusing. Thanks, Lux

doesn't sound too bad as long as all metal bits are solidly connected to that ground connection.

i'm a bit suspicious of that fuse like thing (got a photo of it?) but i can't imagine it doing any harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back