Reworded RCD Poll

When a diyer wants to add a socket should we "go on and on" (to the same OP) about RCD Protection?

• Yes. If OP 'rejects' advice re required RCD protection, we should keep "going on and on" about it.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No. Just make the OP aware of the requirement for RCD protection, but don't keep repeating it

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
When a diyer wants to add a socket should we "go on and on" (to the same OP) about RCD Protection?
  • Yes. If OP 'rejects' advice re required RCD protection, we should keep "going on and on" about it.
  • No. Just make the OP aware of the requirement for RCD protection, but don't keep repeating it
Define "rejects" and "going on and on".

Fair enough, although I'm pretty sure I saw a notice come up when voting which specifically said something along the lines of "Your vote will be publicly viewable."
Ah, on reflection, I think that I now realise why it won't let me turn the 'publicly viewable' facility back on - it wouldn't be fair to allow that to be done after some people had, or may have, voted in the belief that their vote was secret (and, obviously, without their having seen such a 'warning' message). Although, after a day or two, no-one has expressed a desire that such should not be done, I therefore suspect that the mods would refuse to (or be unable to) turn it back on, even if I asked them to.

Kind Regards, John

Yes. If OP 'rejects' advice re required RCD protection, we should keep "going on and on" about it.
No. Just make the OP aware of the requirement for RCD protection, but don't keep repeating it
Define "rejects" and "going on and on".
I think the meaning of the latter is self-evident, particularly after one has read the alternative, 'No' response.

I agree that "rejects" is far less than ideal, but it was a consequence of the character limit. I originally tried phrases like "...indicates that they are not going to heed..." or even just "...will not accept...", but none of those would fit. However, I think that everyone understands what is meant. I cannot believe that even the most enthusiastic of "go-on-and-on-ers" would "go on and on" about RCD protection after an OP had indicated that they were taking the advice given and were going to provide RCD protection!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think the meaning of the latter is self-evident, particularly after one has read the alternative, 'No' response.
Only if you are unable or unwilling to distinguish between gratuitously repeating the same advice and entering into a discussion in which you challenge things that the OP says to try to justify his position.

Last edited:
Only if you are unable or unwilling to distinguish between gratuitously repeating the same advice and entering into a discussion in which you challenge things that the OP says to try to justify his position.
The latter is, IMO, only a reasonable approach if the OP is a willing participant in such a 'discussion'. If the OP does not wish to 'discuss' but is repeatedly 'challenged' to justify his position, then I think that moves things into essentially the former of your two scenarios. Attempting to intimidate or bully people into responding to repeated 'challenges' is, IMO, even worse.

Kind Regards, John

"Could reasonably be expected" IIRC
Ah, that's it, thank you!

"Could reasonably be expected to feed portable equipment outdoors" now comes to my mind.

So what does "reasonably be expected" mean? I think everybody would agree on a socket actually mounted outside being included, since that's what it's put there for, obviously.

Sockets closest to doors though - Might that not depend upon what else is provided? If, for example, there's an exterior socket mounted on the wall just outside that door, would you reasonably expect somebody to run a lead through the door to the inside socket instead of using the one that's right there outside? If there's no outside socket, then fair enough.

But the windows aspect is very valid as well: At my last home in England I never did get around to fitting an exterior socket at the front of the house. On the odd occasions I needed an extension lead run to the front, I often didn't use the socket just inside the front door though, as it was more convenient to open a large window and plug in to a socket directly below that window inside (and also less likely to be trapped in the door).

I know some people were saying it meant that all downstairs sockets should be covered, since it might be expected that a lead be run outside from any of them. I never quite understood that reasoning though, as it seemed unlikely that all sockets downstairs would be expected to be used for such purposes (e.g. who is going to run an extension lead to a distant corner of the living room behind the TV if there's one directly below the window or by the door?).

It would not be reasonable to expect someone to walk past the nearest easily accessible socket, to get to one further away. It would be reasonable to expect the one nearest the door to be used.

Your window must in some way have been preferable or more convenient.

I think I still have a box of used RCD protected sockets somewhere.

RCBOs are great!

I agree that "rejects" is far less than ideal, but it was a consequence of the character limit.
Perhaps, but I would think most of us understand what's being suggested by the term in this context. For example:

"The current edition of BS7671 specifies 30mA RCD protection for added safety for new sockets, except in a few specific circumstances."

"O.K., understood, but I really don't want to go to that extra expense and I'm happy for the new socket to be just as safe as the existing ones. I just want to do a good, safe job at minimal cost."

Something like that?

I can well understand that a person who has 40 sockets in his house, none of them RCD protected, might think it absurd to use an RCD protected socket when he fits the 41st.

How much time is it worth to anyone, haranguing him to change his mind?

Perhaps, but I would think most of us understand what's being suggested by the term in this context. For example: ...
Indeed - as I went on to say ...
... However, I think that everyone understands what is meant. I cannot believe that even the most enthusiastic of "go-on-and-on-ers" would "go on and on" about RCD protection after an OP had indicated that they were taking the advice given and were going to provide RCD protection!

Kind Regards, John

Is that anything like gratuitously repeating the same opinion, without citing anything to support it, in the hope that if you say it enough times people will actually believe it to be fact?
Like the way you repeat the same assertion that it is lawful to not make reasonable provision for safety etc, in the hope that if you say it enough times people will actually believe it to be fact?

I can well understand that a person who has 40 sockets in his house, none of them RCD protected, might think it absurd to use an RCD protected socket when he fits the 41st.
Indeed - I think that (nearly!) all of us can understand a person thinking like that. However, that doesn't alter my view that we need to ensure that the person is aware of that 'requirement', even if (s)he is not going to comply with it.
How much time is it worth to anyone, haranguing him to change his mind?
Quite so - that's the point ... and it's not going to work, anyway, particularly if the haranguing is done in a "bull in a china shop" fashion by someone who hasn't even heard of "interpersonal skills"!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
"not make reasonable provision"

I didn't see that. Where was it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back