Ridge length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone shed any light please? Currently building an extension and I am about to cut a traditional hipped roof.

Details. Current house has a hip on the side. We have built an extension 2.5m to the side of it double storey. The ridge is to be extended then the usual Hips and rafters etc.

My question is, how long do I extend the ridge by? Is it 2.5m? Pitch etc is staying the same. I asked the architect for a detail but he is useless..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand where you are going with this question.

Why do you want to know the ridge length at this stage and how is it relevant?

We often leave the ridge long then cut it to size in-situ when the last full common rafter is rested along side it.

The architect is unlikely to fathom out exact ridge lengths or any other for that matter. And that's the reason why they print things like builder to check all sizes on site blah, blah, blah.

Cheers for the reply. Due to the fact that the original roof is staying in place until the new one is cut, I am unable to fit the commons first as I don't want to damage the rooms below if it rains so, I've had to fit the hip rafters 1st. We are re-tiling the existing and new roof and there is no felt
At present.

Obviously to be able to fit the hips I needed to know the new ridge length..

Anyways I've sorted it today, new ridge and hips fitted. Just so you know if the extension hip is to have the same pitch as the existing then you extend the ridge by the same amount as the foot print of the new build..

What's a notice nosey by the way???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back