Ridge tile question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've had some quotes for ridge tile work.
Some have come back saying re-point only (I dont want this)
The rest have come back as remove and replace (better in my opinion)

The only thing is they all want to "foam" the ridge tiles on before pointing.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist so was wondering if this is the norm now?

The roof is 1940's slate with a teracotta (colour) ridge.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Never heard of foaming! Usually a slate roofs back bedded ( hidden cemented) with joints pointed.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone actually experienced or had to remove ridge tiles that have been foam fixed?

Whilst I'm a traditional builder myself, I'm always willing to try out new stuff as long as it is 'tested', so to speak.

Cement products are fairly rigid and have long had a problem with roof flex etc, in particular ridge and verge mortar applications.

The one thing about polymer foam type adhesives is they will tolerate damp surfaces, bond really well and will allow for some movement. The biggest down-side is that you can not point with the stuff and it is not UV tolerant.

Comments guys.... :?:

Has anyone actually experienced or had to remove ridge tiles that have been foam fixed?

Whilst I'm a traditional builder myself, I'm always willing to try out new stuff as long as it is 'tested', so to speak.

Cement products are fairly rigid and have long had a problem with roof flex etc, in particular ridge and verge mortar applications.

The one thing about polymer foam type adhesives is they will tolerate damp surfaces, bond really well and will allow for some movement. The biggest down-side is that you can not point with the stuff and it is not UV tolerant.

Comments guys.... :?:

Don't know about the ridge but, a while ago some one posted some pictures up of some guys building a brick wall, they foamed the top 4 or 5 courses on.
It was on another forum, any one else seen it.

Interesting.

The quote was for foaming on the tiles and re-pointing afterwards (mortar) so the foam would not be subject to UV. Hopefully someone will have knowledge about this...cheers

I wonder if removal involves a hacksaw blade slid in behind the tiles?

I am sure it would work for a while but with all the dry ridge systems on the market why bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back