ridge tile tool or jig ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone tell me of a tool or jig to assist in fitting ridge tiles to the roof especially on the hips
Any links to such things would be very helpful
thanks col

Sponsored Links
do you work with machine turning tools like lathes by any chance colw1? ;)

we use a builders line, or indeed a builders 'eye' to get things straight.

a hipped ridge will follow the contour of the roof, which is rarely straight. it will normally end up with a slight 'kick' at the eaves.

the intended line should be straight though. ;)

Sponsored Links
how do you do this with the batterns e.g any pics

Get 2 long batons and adjust them so they are parallel and the ridge tiles will fit inside then use some more baton to fix them together top and bottom but you will have to use a number of off cuts fixed to the long lengths at each end before you attach the end pieces. This is so the end pieces giving you the correct width sit above the ridge tiles otherwise you will not be able to lay in the top and bottom tiles :eek:

I know you are thinking what :!: :!: so I will try and sort out a diagram for you :D

hi can anyone tell me of a tool or jig to assist in fitting ridge tiles to the roof especially on the hips
thanks col

hi if you get two lenghs of batten and strap them the same distance as your ridge ,hip tiles lay them so you have the same distance apart and thay will keep you level all the way up your hips ,and the same for your ridge thay do make one but it is the same as two battens and less expencive ... shaun m

thanks col

Hi there i work for a company who manufactures the roof jig which you are looking for which are a very simple and easy way to install ridges or hips to your roof..... :unsure:

A bit fussy but another method would be:

one roofer at the top of the hip with a hip tile, set the hip tile and mark both sides on the field tiles.
Another roofer at the foot of the hip does the same.
Snap chalk lines from top marks to bottom marks, and keep your work inside the chalk lines.

It will also work, of course, on a ridge.

hip runners are ok if you can get a nice straight set of timber the ridge jig that the company i work for use and many local roofing companies we have supplied to love them easy to set up and even a monkey could use them..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back