Riello Oil boiler problem?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
hi guys i wonder can you help me,

problem started when oil ran out. Now the system will not bleed, ive already removed oil pump and cleaned the screen etc , it just wont seem to push the oil threw correctly.
heres a short video of the Issue. any ideas on what to check/do next ??

Sponsored Links
Vid.png

there is a bleed on the oil pump pressure test point, but be careful if you don't know what you are doing and "undo" the wrong connection you could adjust the pump pressure and need a tech anyway

Sponsored Links
If your tank is above the burner, slacken the nut where the flexy braided pipe enters the pump and allow kero to bleed through. Failing that, theres a bleed valve closed with an allen screw, so slacken that when the burner is trying to start. Don't adjust the one with the screwdriver slot with the big nut behind!
Post a pic of the pump if you like.
John :)

fixed video guys tank is above burner is located outdoors ground level in a small brick housing with felt roof.

also can make another video if directed,
thanks for your quick answers guys

Undo the lower of the two plugs.....don't touch the upper one - that's the pressure adjustment screw.
The lower plug is undone to connect a pressure gauge when setting the burner up.

Just managed to see the video......
Got to be right there, Terry - doesn't sound like anything is spinning at all. Fuel dripping too? :eek:

how can i check for pump running freely? i appreciate your help with this.
also can a seized pump be fixed or does that require a new one?

Get someone in who knows what they're doing.
its not my boiler- belongs to a friend (single mother private tenant) - landlord wont come to look because house is in process of being recovered by bank. the girl has another 4-8 weeks tenancy left. im just seeking to help maybe keep it going at as little cost as possible ,

You need an oil pressure gauge to check the pump is running freely and stable, then set the pressure to the correct setting and then put a flue gas analyser on it to get the correct CO2. The boiler if not set up correctly can produce excess carbon monoxide and be a death trap. Get someone in and deduct it from the last rental payment.

You said you have removed the pump for cleaning....it should be easy to turn the pump shaft by hand, and it shouldn't have any tight spots as you do so.
Its possible to remount the pump slightly out of alignment, so the motor finds it difficult to spin. Try slackening the motor mounting screws just a touch and try again.
If the pump has tightened up, I'm afraid its game over - it needs a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back