Riello RDB1 - Lockout - Suspect Pump Clogged or Broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help - this is my first post.

We haven't serviced our warmflow oil system for quite a while.

It's worked no problems for years.

Yesterday it locked out.

Pressed the the reset and on the second go it lit and stayed going for a couple of hours.

Then tried to light again in the evening and it wouldn't light with the reset button.

When I press the reset I'm getting about 10-12 second of whirring then about 3-4 seconds of it trying to light and then it locks out.

Took the bleed screw out and put a cup underneath it and tried to reset again.

A tiny trickle of oil came out with a slight gush at the end of the reset cycle.....

I'm guessing the pump has gone down - but after disconnecting the oil supply line only a trickle came out of that from the tank until I turned the fire cut-off valve to close. The tank is half full.

1. Could the line from the tank to the boiler be blocked slightly or does the pump suck the oil through and pressurise it when it's working?

2. Does it sound like the pump has gone?

As I don't know what I'm doing, I'm thinking of just buying a new burner for around £300 and getting it commissioned by an OFTEC plumber.

Or should I gamble on getting a new pump and trying to fit. My worry is that new pumps are around £90 - it might not be that and then gradually replacing other parts staying cold and ending up spending £300 and still having a problem.

Sorry the posts so long.....Thanks in advance, John

Sponsored Links
It just needs a service ie new nozzle ,clean baffles oil filters set up combustion it should be done at least every year

It just needs a service ie new nozzle ,clean baffles oil filters set up combustion it should be done at least every year
Thanks for your reply - but I can't see how a service would increase the oil pressure coming out of the pump.

Also, when the system was installed I can't see an oil filter anywhere from the tank to the burner- just the fire cutoff valve.

Sponsored Links
Take the burner out and have a look. If it hasn’t been serviced for years then maybe it’s clogged with soot.
I wouldn’t guess it’s any particular part. Spend the money and get an expert in.

Take the burner out and have a look. If it hasn’t been serviced for years then maybe it’s clogged with soot.
I wouldn’t guess it’s any particular part. Spend the money and get an expert in.
Thanks - I've already taken the burner out and cleaned all the soot out. Still not firing up.

Will try to buy a pressure gauge tester (if they're not too expensive) and report back.

No get an engineer in to check out the oil line and then the boiler and burner if you do the lot then
you'll be ok for a year.Bob

No get an engineer in to check out the oil line and then the boiler and burner if you do the lot then
you'll be ok for a year.Bob
Thanks oilboffin. Understood. I didn't know it was possible for the oil line to block.

Will do. I have found the filter at the tank end.

It's an Atkinson Tankmaster - just ordered the filter and going to change - probably well gunked up.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back