Riello whining noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping to change my oil boiler but unfortunately the money won't stretch to a Grant yet. Perhaps this £400 grant may help me to buy a Grant in the future!!!
In the meantime I'm going to have to plod on with my Warmflow which has a Riello 40G3B burner.
At the moment it's making a terrible whining, almost grinding noise when the burner starts up and you can hear it throughout the house through the pipework and radiators.
My question is :- What is the noise.......Bearings ?
As it's noisey, you can hear the motor come to a quick halt when it stops.
I'm reasonably handy at DIY, and am prepared to have a go at fixing it if possible.
Any help or instructions would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The £400 is highly unlikely to apply to any oil-fired boiler as they will already exceed minimum efficiency standards.

Don't doubt your DIY skills, but if you're prepared to spend a little money getting a professional to maintain it, you could save a lot of money needlessly replacing your boiler. The R40 series is one of the most reliable burners ever made.

It,ll be the bearings on the motor,cheapest option is to replace motor. This is not a DIY job,the sooner you get it done the better.

As said, if you get the burner sorted then your boiler will last years.

Probably the bearings, especially if, as you say, the motor comes to a sudden halt.

BUT; a couple of years ago my then 3 year old Boulter started making screaming noises on start up &, naturally, the bearings were suspected as you’ve been advised. I left it to soldier on for some months as it didn’t seem to be getting any worse & then I refilled the oil tank from my regular supplier, the noise completely disappeared & has not returned since. I didn’t use my normal suppler that one time & was later told they got done by trading standards for selling sub-standard oil. I don’t know how it was deemed sub-standard or if this would have caused the problem & it may have been just “mud slinging” by my normal supplier but I haven’t used them since & the pump remains as quiet as a mouse.

Sponsored Links
Change bearings but whilst dismantled check oil pump as it has probably leaked heating oil onto bearings and washed the grease out.

If so either replace pump or pump spindle bearing/seal otherwise get a spare set of motor bearings!

Only my opinion, but I find the bearings easy enough to change...cheap too!
John :)

Bet you pull bearings off with your aswell,clever ****.

I'm really not sure of how to take this post, but it doesn't sound very complimentary :confused:
I don't think I'd be scrapping a motor just for a couple of bearings.
John :)

Are the bearings a difficult job to replace.............Do you need any special tools for the job.
I'd be grateful for any information and tips.
Thanks

It requires taking off the oil pump (some guys take off the control box too for ease of access).
Make sure the electric is off and clip the wires to the old motor inside the control box, then when you thread through the new ones you'll know where they're going
Only issue with it is; if the oil pump has leaked down the shaft to cause the bearings to fail you'll be looking at replacing the pump too :cry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back