Right of Way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In thedeeds of a property I own there is documented is a 'Right of Way' which runs across my back garden (in fact it runs across 4 adjoining back gardens) joining the now converted chapel to the pub garden. At the chapel end a wall has recently been built stopping access to the RoW; at the pub garden end the RoW has been blocked for more years than I've own my property.

Is it possible to get the RoW removed from the Deeds? I guess all of the 4 property owners would have work together on this.

Sponsored Links
You might, on the other hand, encourage people who did not know about it, to have it reinstated.

Who is the beneficiary of the ROW? Thats who you would need to arrange its removal with.

I suspect that you are probably in a terrace and that they used to be back to back terraces, hence the ROW for the back properties to get access.
And yes you would need all 4 property owners to be in agreement although if there is no benefit f the ROW any more because it has been stopped up at both ends (and because what was a chapel is no longer) then its pretty pointless and removal should be easy enough but it will cost you - I think the land registry may be worth a call.

is it the only way to access yours and there back gardens ??
if so they may not like the idea and may reduce the value when you come to sell

Sponsored Links
You'v mentioned that there are now walls at the end of the RoW, but not how your garden is done. The RoW was very likely there before the gardens had fences; and as you very likely have a fence all round your garden, unless someone is going to demand you allow them to jump over the fence and walk across the garden, it's a bit of a mute point. Ignore it, and treat it as a talking point - just don't tell to many people about it.

Only two ways

You come to an agreement with the owners benefiting from the right of way and get this formalised into a deed.

You buy the other land.

You might, on the other hand, encourage people who did not know about it, to have it reinstated.
Well actually that is one of my concerns - when I sell I don't want the new owners trying to use it as a back entrance and forcing the neighbours who have sheds built on it to pull their shed and garage down.

If the other neighbours have built sheds and garages across a right of way, why are you worrying about it anyway? Juat build a shed over it too.

I believe that rights of way do expire after a while if unused, and that in an opposite form, my employer blocks a gate once a year to prevent a right of way being formed
However it may take years for a row to become redundant

Well actually that is one of my concerns - when I sell I don't want the new owners trying to use it as a back entrance and forcing the neighbours who have sheds built on it to pull their shed and garage down.

How could they use it as a back entry if both ends are blocked?
Unless 1 party bought both end houses:)

Sponsored Links
Back