What on earth does this mean? Legal speak.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct place to post it (category, or even website!)
Any help would be appreciated :)

"EXCEPT AND RESERVED unto the Vendor or the owners or occupiers of
the adjoining premises numbered PROPERTY B aforesaid all
rights easements and privileges light air drainage or support and
all similar rights which have hitherto been enjoyed over the
premises hereby contracted to be sold notwithstanding that (as
regards any adjoining or adjacent property) by reason of unity of
ownership or otherwise no legal right has hitherto existed and
except and reserved unto the Vendor or the owners or occupiers of
the said adjoining premises numbered PROPERTY B aforesaid
and all other persons entitled thereto a right to pass and repass
on foot or with vehicles over and along the entryway coloured blue
on the said plan ..... SUBJECT TO (a) all rights of way drainage
and other rights easements and privileges which may affect the
property or any part thereof without any obligation on the part of
the Vendor to define the same."

As background, the Vendor owned the property in question, bought property B, then sold the property in question.

The rear of property B can only be physically accessed by using the entryway coloured blue.

Does the property in question have any vehicular access rights over the entryway (to gain access to the rear of the property)?

Many thanks in anticipation

:)

Sponsored Links
It means - someone was paid £300p.h. to create this double-Dutch, and you may have to pay another sharp-suited legal-eagle another 300 notes p.h to convert back to English.

Good game, good game!

The owners of Property B get the right to enjoy light, air, drainage and ground support. All typical stuff

They can also access the property, by foot or vehicle via the land outlined in blue on the property plan

This is all subject to any other easements (restrictions)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies :)
does that mean that, in order to determine whether the property in question also has vehicular access to the rear of its property, that would have to be determined from property B's deeds? or is the current arrangement reciprocal?

Not withstanding the herefore mentioned combined wisdom of this illustrious forum :) you might also want to take a look at the forum at www.gardenlaw.co.uk where they discuss all this sort of stuff. In fact, reading the various threads there make you feel so fortunate if you at least haven't fallen out with your own neighbours.

I can't understand neighbour disputes; in most cases a friendly invitation to share a cup of tea, a couple of beers or a glass of Scotch would sort the issue out.

Cheaper than using a lawyer.

I can't understand neighbour disputes; in most cases a friendly invitation to share a cup of tea, a couple of beers or a glass of Scotch would sort the issue out.

Cheaper than using a lawyer.

What do you know you pillok. :evil:

So now we've fallen out i can pop round yours for a "wee dram or two" i can bring my own cut glass if your short on glasses. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Not Withstanding what it actually means, if the Vendor actually owned the first property, then bought property B and subsequently sold the original property, why didn't he have this made clear during the transaction?

I blame him, not the solicitor.

except and reserved unto the Vendor or the owners or occupiers of the said adjoining premises numbered PROPERTY B aforesaid and all other persons entitled thereto a right to pass and repass on foot or with vehicles over and along the entryway coloured blue on the said plan ..... SUBJECT TO (a) all rights of way drainage and other rights easements and privileges which may affect the
property or any part thereof without any obligation on the part of the Vendor to define the same."

The rear of property B can only be physically accessed by using the entryway coloured blue.

Does the property in question have any vehicular access rights over the entryway (to gain access to the rear of the property)?
The simple answer is Yes. I assume the entry way goes over land which is owned by the Vendor, which is why the covenant gives both the vendor and the owner or occupier the right to take vehicles over the blue entryway.

If you haven't bought the property, I would ask your solicitor about the part I have put in red as it suggest there may be other restrictions, which the vendor is unwilling to tell you about.

Sponsored Links
Back