Boiler vent over boundary

As you have a right of way over the drive, I would argue that your "boundary" is the centre of the right of way....

That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard on the subject.
Right of use does not make you the owner; you can't terminate the flue there any more than you can build your shed on it.

It's along the same line as any right of use.
A lifetime interest in property bequeathed to you in a will means you can live there, but you don't get a penny from the proceeds of the sale, nor can you convert it into pub.

Sponsored Links
What Dave is saying Ben, is it a right of way with no defined owner, or owned by next door with access rights.

I read it as being owned by next door, therefore the flue cannot go there, which is what I said about the 3rd post down.

You guys are not being very helpful to the OP.

Plume kits are available for the best domestic boilers!

You guys are not being very helpful to the OP.

Plume kits are available for the best domestic boilers!
afaik plume kits cannot be used to avoid the requirements of bs 5440, i.e the terminal position should still comply!

Sponsored Links
The Gas Safe inspector came to check my new Baxi Solo installation this week. The flue is 20cm from the boundary (2 semis) with my neighbour. He has issued the installer with a notice to fit a plume kit as the minimum is 30cm according to Baxi's installation guide. The inspector said that this is in line with building regs.

condensing boiler flues

Wall terminals should be sited a minimum 2.5m from a facing wall, fence, building or property boundary – compared with 0.6m as given in Approved Document J (gas and oil boilers).

Terminals must not be sited under car port roofs.

More restrictive requirements apply for wall terminals sited at low level. ‘Low’ means a terminal sited below 2.1m. This applies to:

Public footways and frequently used access routes

Car parking spaces less than 2.5m from the terminal

Patio (hard surface area).

Where a plume diverter terminal is used the distance should be measured in the direction of the flue products.

I’ll post the document in the drop box - Guide to the condensing boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings under the title ‘condensing boiler flue siting’

for gods sake, when will common sense prevail??? The regulations are there as guidance and to prevent people installing boilers where they will become a nuisance. Just install it in such a way that it is not and there'll be no issues.

The OP needs to clarify who owns the drive and who else has a right to use it.

The words he quoted sound like those imposed by the developer, probably long gone now.

I am sure a flue with plume diverter can be fitted to cause no nuisence but many installers seem very vague on the actual requirements.

Tony

for gods sake, when will common sense prevail??? The regulations are there as guidance and to prevent people installing boilers where they will become a nuisance. Just install it in such a way that it is not and there'll be no issues.

Yes and no.

You're 100% right until one neighbour decides it's an issue then you'd better had complied with whatever reg was in place at the time and can back it up.

Common sense is anything but common.

I agree. Take my installation as an example (see earlier post). I told the Gas Safe inspector that I had asked my neighbour if the plume would be a problem and he said not to worry. The inspector's point was that if I or my neighbour wanted to sell, the position of the flue would be mentioned on the survey and would probably cause issues. If my neighbour or a subsequent buyer decided to build an extension, they couldn't as the flue would be too near the boundary.
So although there's not a problem now, there could be in the future.

WRONG! They are not guidance - they are RULES. If you ignore them, be prepared to face the music, at some point, maybe in the distant future.....

The Building Regulations on the siting of fanned draught balanced flues from gas condensing boilers state 600mm from a boundary in the direction of the discharge, changing to 1200mm from 1st October 2010. Note that these detailed definitions in the building regulations are only "guidance" concerning the very vague requirements themselves addressing only "adequate provision", but in practice they are effectively binding. The regulations state that the boundary for this purpose extends to the centre line of a public highway or right of way. I don't know if your access rights over the driveway constitute a right of way.

I’ll post the document in the drop box - Guide to the condensing boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings under the title ‘condensing boiler flue siting’
This document describes the assessment procedure for determining whether a condensing boiler must be fitted, or a non-condensing boiler can be used, and does not represent the building regulations.

The postioning of flues in reference to encroaching on others land or to close to a boundary , efecting future development / extensions are refered in the gas safety & use regs 1998 !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back