Boiler vent over boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a new boiler and one of the plumbers mentioned that he couldn't install a horizontal flu as the wall the boiler is to be mounted to is on the boundary of the property. The current boiler has this arrangement though.

I spoke to another plumber who said as it's over 2.1m from the ground it will be OK (new boiler will be upstairs).

The boundary is that between our house and a drive running between our house and next door. The drive is not shared but we do have a right of access over it to our garage, according to the deeds:-

"Together with the right (jointly with the Vendor and his successors in
title) to pass and repass over and along the right of way seven feet in
width situate adjoining the easterly side of the said piece or parcel of
land for the purpose of gaining access thereto and therefrom and which
said right of way is also shown on the said plan and thereon coloured
yellow".

I have an excerpt from the diagram in the deeds saved to an album on this site but I can't seem to attach it to this message.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Sponsored Links
condensing boilers "plume" when condensing

this has a habit of causing probs with "them next door"

standard eff boilers dont

the rules have been there a long time just nobody bothered with them

until you had to fit a steamer ;)

Try a vertical flue or use a plume kit to take the outlet as high as possible. Note that plume kits must exit away from the same wall as the air intake and in the same direction. They are not intended to go around corners or eaves.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd heard about the steam issue, on of the reasons I thought it'd be better upstairs.

Does the 2.1m rule not apply then?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I'd heard about the steam issue, on of the reasons I thought it'd be better upstairs.

Does the 2.1m rule not apply then?

No, because it's not your land, so there is no 2.1m to apply.

The confusion comes from the difference between what was done, and what is allowed to be be done.

You are allowed a horizontal flue terminal on your own land, or on public land, NOT on land privately owned by someone else, at any height.

The fact that the old flue is there, does not make it legal.

The confusion comes from the difference between what was done, and what is allowed to be be done.

You are allowed a horizontal flue terminal on your own land, or on public land, NOT on land privately owned by someone else, at any height.

Ben is absolutely correct. There must be a minimum of 500mm (?) to the boundary. the old boier probably predates that (bulilding) regulation

Try a vertical flue or use a plume kit to take the outlet as high as possible. Note that plume kits must exit away from the same wall as the air intake and in the same direction. They are not intended to go around corners or eaves.

On all boiler makes?

Ben is absolutely correct. There must be a minimum of 500mm (?) to the boundary. the old boier probably predates that (bulilding) regulation

I thought and worked on 600mm for a non-condenser and 2500mm for a condenser discharging directly toward a neighbouring boundary.

If it's over public land it's not so clear but personally I wouldn't if there's a footpath or driveway

your neighbor has the right to make you remove your flue if it projects into his space

if you get a condensing boiler, the steam plume will be very noticable in winter, and will annoy him. The flue will also drip a bit, and the drips will erode concrete.

best to bite the bullet and get a flue extension fitted when you put the boiler in, it will be much more expensive done later. They are not especially expensive, and can be concealed e.g. above kitchen units or in a corner duct.

When planning my boiler, I made a point of having it fitted near an upstairs corner where the plume would blow across a windowless wall over my side way. You will be surpised what a nuisance a steram plume can be. Remember to have it fitted close to a waste pipe to avoid an external or clumsy pipe run for the condensate drain.

The boundary is that between our house and a drive running between our house and next door. The drive is not shared but we do have a right of access over it to our garage, according to the deeds
According to Approved Document J, where gas appliances are concerned, the "boundary" of a property extends to the centre line of any adjacent canal, river railway, or right of way such as a path or street. As you have a right of way over the drive, I would argue that your "boundary" is the centre of the right of way, which is seven feet wide. So your "boundary" is actually 3½ feet from the wall of your house.

This means that the 600mm minimum distance from the flue to the boundary is easily met.

I suggest you speak to the owner of the drive and get his agreement in writing to the location of the flue.

but in this case, the right of way is not a path or street, it is the next-door neighbour's drive. And OP only has limited access rights to drive up it. IMO there is a property rights issue here, and nuisance, not just a gas safety issue.

same as there would be if you squirted steam into your neighbour's garden. It will be quite unsightly in winter. And condensation drips will make a hole in the neighbour's drive, if it is concrete.

but in this case, the right of way is not a path or street, it is the next-door neighbour's drive.
But the regulation only say "such as a path or street", which means that it is not limited to these but applies to any right of way.

OP only has limited access rights to drive up it.
No he has rights to "to pass and repass over and along the right of way." The means of travel is not stated.

We are, of course assuming that the drive is owned by the adjacent house. That needs to be checked on the deeds of the adjacent house.

The OP should speak to the adjacent owner.

...he has rights to "to pass and repass over and along the right of way." The means of travel is not stated.
"...for the purpose of gaining access"

but no mention of a right to build anything that projects onto it, or blow steam onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back