Right to light re neighbours new conservotory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They asked us if we minded them having a conservertory we said no ofcourse not we have one but we have a solid brick wall now down one side of our house they have taken our light and we have to have lights on for breakfast they at no time told us of this brick wall we assumed it would be same as many like us have all around back gardens backing on to ours its sloping up to top floor windows so 2.9 metres up to 3.6.metres to give glass roof a fall for rain in to guttering so total block of any sun light till mid day then it dissapears over our roof so our kitchen and concervetory in shadow most of day. We did have a letter but at time couldnt get on to site to look about as good trusting neighbours of 9 years we didnt think to follow up to our cost, We have challenged them and they say they are sorry but have no money to change design now so we are stuck with dark rooms and they have nice new play room so unfair
Any help would be gratful our fault we know so no wise cracks you should have checked with planner just so sad we were trusting good neighbours !!!!!

Sponsored Links
Looks like you typed that quickly while running for the bus and out of breath so that you had to get all the words out at once and it makes it very difficult to read or understand so you may like to retype it with paragraphs or something so that your problem can be understood and answered.

Here you are Woody, I'm feeling generous :LOL:

They (the neighbours) asked us if we minded them having a conservatory. We said "No, of course not, we have one."
But now we have a solid brick wall now down one side of our house. They have taken our light and we have to have lights on for breakfast. They at no time told us of this brick wall. We assumed it would be the same as ours as, like us, many of our neighbours have done the same thing and we can see this as their back gardens back on to ours.
The roof is sloping up to top floor windows so it's 2.9 metres up to 3.6.metres to give glass roof a fall for rain in to guttering, so total block of any sunlight until mid day, then it disappears over our roof so our kitchen and conservatory are both in shadow for most of the day.
We did receive a letter from them but at the time couldnt get on to site to look around. As we have been good trusting neighbours for 9 years we didnt think to follow up, and this was to our cost.
We have challenged them and they say they are sorry but have no money to change design now so we are stuck with dark rooms and they have nice new play room. This is so unfair :cry:
We would be grateful for any help. We realise this is our fault so no wise cracks about how we should have checked with the local planning department. It's just so sad and all because we were trusting good neighbours !!!!!

I think this is the gist of what they are saying...a bit of punctuation and maybe a run through a spell checker goes a long way!! :cool:

You should have asked for more details on the conservatory!

A lot of conservatories have brick walls bordering the neighbouring garden, its nothing unusual.

So in short, you have no right, IMO, to complain. You gave them the go-ahead to build a structure, you didnt enquire as to the nature of the structure.

Did they get planning permission? I'm not sure if its required for conservatories, or whether its only for certain ones.

Sponsored Links
I think PP for conservatories is the same generally as for extensions, so as long as the wall goes out less than 3m and is single storey, it falls under permitted development.
I don't think there is any right to light if the wall is single storey and falls under PD rights.
If their kitchen window is facing the wall, a couple of feet from it, and has had an unobstructed view for a number of years (can't remember how long) then they may have a case.
But I don't think they will have in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back