Neighbour advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are starting the process of having plans drawn up etc for our semi detached bungalow, it will be a first floor extension towards the back of the property.

We plan to build right up to the boundary fence of the adjoining house.
We have spoken to the neighbour and they have verbally agreed that this is ok to do.

About 10 years ago a similar design (which our neighbour submitted) was rejected due to loss of light by the then owner in our house. This resulted in our neighbour changing the design and not utilising this area. They explained that this cost them thousands and urged us to do what we want to do and not worry..

My question is do i need to do anything to prove this to the Planning Board?
Im concerned that they may deny the application because they think there will be a loss of light into the neighbours property, even though i have my neighbours approval..

I have attached a very rough sketch to help explain this.
The red outline in the first page shows the current layout.
I have added an arrow to explain the area I'm referring too.
The second page shows the proposed layout.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Daniel

Attachments

• Plans.pdf
    185.9 KB · Views: 253
Sponsored Links
Where is the neighbour's extension? And what do you mean by "first floor extension"

Planners will consider your neighbours support but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll approve it because of it. They also account for the fact that people sell houses and a new neighbour may not like it so much. What is existing and what is extension on your drawing. Is it the whole of the shaded area? A tactical approach might be to build the kitchen portion first under permitted development and then apply for the other side. But that depends on detail which isn't exactly clear from your drawing.

Sponsored Links
There's clearly a 45° degree issue there on the neighbours window/door, and it could be refused on that alone if it's the council policy, and it won't matter what the neighbour says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back