Right to Reply

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether we like it or not, as has been touched on in the various immigration threads on here, the migration of people around the globe is not going to stop. Indeed, if the climate folk are even semi-right, we're going to see tens of millions in decades to come moving from countries that are hit harder by weather extremes.

What do we do with these people? As I mentioned in another thread, a climate-refugee 'expert' said recently on a Scottish tv debate prog that the Scottish Government should be planning 'now' to build entirely new towns to house them. I'm not sure how well that idea would go down if it actually came to fruition.

I'm not defending migrants, I'm not defending government. All I'm saying is the issue of migration, legal or otherwise, is going nowhere and as the old cliched saying goes, ideally what we need is a joined up approach to this cross-party and cross-nation.

Something we also need to accept is the country needs migrants. Folk that have the attitude 'pull the drawbridge up and let no one in whatsoever' are at best misinformed about what the consequences of such a policy would have on the country.

Sponsored Links
Whether we like it or not, as has been touched on in the various immigration threads on here, the migration of people around the globe is not going to stop. Indeed, if the climate folk are even semi-right, we're going to see tens of millions in decades to come moving from countries that are hit harder by weather extremes.

What do we do with these people? As I mentioned in another thread, a climate-refugee 'expert' said recently on a Scottish tv debate prog that the Scottish Government should be planning 'now' to build entirely new towns to house them. I'm not sure how well that idea would go down if it actually came to fruition.

I'm not defending migrants, I'm not defending government. All I'm saying is the issue of migration, legal or otherwise, is going nowhere and as the old cliched saying goes, ideally what we need is a joined up approach to this cross-party and cross-nation.

Something we also need to accept is the country needs migrants. Folk that have the attitude 'pull the drawbridge up and let no one in whatsoever' are at best misinformed about what the consequences of such a policy would have on the country.
Maybe they should be building adequate social housing for the homeless in this country before snuggling illegal immigrants down in a brand new town.

Maybe they should be building adequate social housing for the homeless in this country before snuggling illegal immigrants down in a brand new town.
Rightly or wrongly, government and even local council doesn't function that way. I'm not saying these matters are mutually exclusive, however it simply doesn't work that way. Btw I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm simply referring to the various debates that we need to acknowledge must happen, cause the migration thing ain't going away.

Sponsored Links
Rightly or wrongly, government and even local council doesn't function that way. I'm not saying these matters are mutually exclusive, however it simply doesn't work that way. Btw I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm simply referring to the various debates that we need to acknowledge must happen, cause the migration thing ain't going away.
the homeless have nowhere to go either.
Who do we take care of first?
Illegal immigrants or the homeless...

Currently the net migration is made up of the vast majority of legal immigrants, i.e. migrants who have the blessing of the government to be here.
So the vast majority of migrants must be allowed to enter under the current rules.
In addition, refugees must be allowed to enter to be processed. (I believe it's unacceptable to process refugees on board the rescue boats due to the problem of suitable accommodation.)
Thus all migrants must be allowed to enter. For sure some can be deported if their application fails, but that is an infinitesimal number in the grand scheme of things.

A refugee can find an organisation to help them find shelter: an illegal immigrant will look to avoid such assistance.
...:arrow:

A refugee can find an organisation to help them find shelter: an illegal immigrant will look to avoid such assistance.
...:arrow:
Let's differentiate between refugees, who seek asylum, and illegal immigrants who do not intend to seek asylum.
Your use of the term refers to the latter, I assume.
The current use of the term by the Government and anti-immigrant proponents causes confusion.

the homeless have nowhere to go either.
Who do we take care of first?
Illegal immigrants or the homeless...
I'll repeat, rightly or wrongly, it doesn't work that way. The challenges and issues we face are dealt with in a parallel not linear manner. Not saying it's right, however we've had homeless people since year dot and will continue to do so 100 years from now. How do we 'deal with that first' and not (try to) deal with the issue of folk coming across in boats?

Things like homelessness are multi-faceted issues. I watched a tv prog on it a few years back that followed the ups and downs of various homeless people. Some of them received a council flat and two of them ended up back on the streets x weeks/months later (through their own choice) for various reasons.

My point? You don't simply 'solve' a problem like homelessness.

And some people wonder why their rule breaking posts get deleted or they find themselves unable to post on certain threads. It's a mystery...
or the ones that prove you wrong or going against your thoughts

Why, is all the social housing built by the Labour government all full now?
Haven't you noticed? There isn't enough of it which is why councils have massive waiting lists

And perhaps to correct a misconception - Tory governments have also built social housing, for example the massive numbers of council houses built under successive Tory governments in the 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back