Right to Reply

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The homeless are one of those complex problems that do not have simple solutions.

Can anyone think of one of the REAL reasons we don't just build 1000's more social houses???

Sponsored Links
Call me naïve but can anyone tell me why a young indigenous married couple who have worked for say, 5 years in low paid jobs cannot get some kind of social housing yet it seems that anyone who hops off of a dinghy in Kent is immediately put into some kind of shelter/hostel/hotel/motel or whatever while they wait for an asylum claim to be decided and if successful are given a house/flat before our own homeless people ?

Can anyone think of one of the REAL reasons we don't just build 1000's more social houses???
How about for once you TELL us the answer instead of leaving it as a question which you intimate that you and only you know the REAL answer?

Sponsored Links
Call me naïve but can anyone tell me why a young indigenous married couple who have worked for say, 5 years in low paid jobs cannot get some kind of social housing yet it seems that anyone who hops off of a dinghy in Kent is immediately put into some kind of shelter/hostel/hotel/motel or whatever while they wait for an asylum claim to be decided and if successful are given a house/flat before our own homeless people ?
Here we go again, the same old trope of urban mythology.

Thankfully, an asylum seeker eventually receives a more permanent place to stay.

But they have no choice about where they end up –...
.., most asylum seekers are sent where accommodation is cheaper. The Home Office calls it ‘dispersal’.
And they won’t get a council house, either. An asylum seeker cannot access this standard welfare – only specific asylum support.
The accommodation they do have is usually a shared house, with lots of people squeezed in. There are reports of overcrowding, missing cots for children and general dirt and grime. Many are far from city centres, too.

When someone gets refugee status, they can no longer stay in asylum accommodation. They can choose where to live, but they have to pay for their rent or ask for government help – like any UK citizen. (But without the family ties or support that many of us take for granted.)

A refugee is assessed against the same criteria as other British nationals. They are not automatically prioritised for any housing they need.

You've maybe partly answered your own question. I'm not saying you have, I'm saying you 'might' have.

Out of all the social housing across the UK, I don't know what % is currently occupied by those coming across in boats. 'If' it's the case that a greater % of these people are being housed in, as you put it, shelters, hostels, hotels etc, that's not where the young married couple in your scenario would want to be housed. They'll be on a waiting list for a social house/flat, not a hotel room.

Again (I feel this always needs pointed out on this forum) please don't misconstrue what I've typed as meaning I support one view or the other, I'm simply referring to the mechanics/process.

What I will say is, don't allow the politicians to misdirect you into thinking the lack of housing is down to migrants. Yes, to a 'degree' this might be true, however the greater underlying issue is the consistent f*** up of our governments to have robust longer term policies around housing, health etc.

When things are going wrong, the first port of call blame wise is often migrants. Governments love this case it directs peoples views away from their failings.

Lack of GP appointments. Is that more down to migrants or poor longer term planning by our government about GP recruitment etc? e.g. a lot of GPs are bailing early cause of pension changes ... so increasing lack of GPs is nowt to do with migrants. Yes, they might be taking up a % of appointment spaces in primary and secondary care, however migrants are not what's causing our current healthcare f*** up.

When things are going wrong, the first port of call blame wise is often migrants. Governments love this case it directs peoples views away from their failings.
and that is the cause of the real divisive society we are in currently.

it was all their fault that we had that big referendum about, too.

You've maybe partly answered your own question. I'm not saying you have, I'm saying you 'might' have.

Out of all the social housing across the UK, I don't know what % is currently occupied by those coming across in boats. 'If' it's the case that a greater % of these people are being housed in, as you put it, shelters, hostels, hotels etc, that's not where the young married couple in your scenario would want to be housed. They'll be on a waiting list for a social house/flat, not a hotel room.

Again (I feel this always needs pointed out on this forum) please don't misconstrue what I've typed as meaning I support one view or the other, I'm simply referring to the mechanics/process.

What I will say is, don't allow the politicians to misdirect you into thinking the lack of housing is down to migrants. Yes, to a 'degree' this might be true, however the greater underlying issue is the consistent f*** up of our governments to have robust longer term policies around housing, health etc.

Ok, forget the initial housing before asylum is decided but as I said in my post, assuming they are granted asylum, what happens to them then? Are they just chucked out on the street to fend for themselves or are they helped into some kind of social housing? That's all I'd expect for our own homeless people. Nothing more and certainly nothing less but that doesn't seem to be the case to me and many others.

Ok, forget the initial housing before asylum is decided but as I said in my post, assuming they are granted asylum, what happens to them then? Are they just chucked out on the street to fend for themselves or are they helped into some kind of social housing? That's all I'd expect for our own homeless people. Nothing more and certainly nothing less but that doesn't seem to be the case to me and many others.
that's different from your previ ous comnent though.

Our homeless is another big problem. Again, not a simple reason or cure. Needs a long term joined up aporoach.

Is it a Government failing, or not ?

When someone gets refugee status, they can no longer stay in asylum accommodation. They can choose where to live, but they have to pay for their rent or ask for government help – like any UK citizen.
A refugee is assessed against the same criteria as other British nationals. They are not automatically prioritised for any housing they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back