Ring Circuit on old fuse board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, i have just moved into a rented property with a very old fuse board. all the sockets in the house are on one 30amp fuse. is this safe as i thought you had to have one ring circuit for downstairs and one for the upstairs? also there has been a single socket wired from the lighting circuit which sits next to the board. will the landlord have to update all the electrics by law to make it safe?

Sponsored Links
Hello there, i have just moved into a rented property with a very old fuse board. all the sockets in the house are on one 30amp fuse. is this safe as i thought you had to have one ring circuit for downstairs and one for the upstairs?
No, you don't have to (unless each floor is over 100m²). Whilst it may be inconvenient to only have one circuit there is no reason why it should be unsafe.

also there has been a single socket wired from the lighting circuit which sits next to the board.
Again, not necessarily unsafe.

will the landlord have to update all the electrics by law to make it safe?
He should have it inspected regularly, and on change of tenancy, but I don't think there's any law which says he has to (unlike gas), nor any which says he has to put right anything that's wrong.

If he's been told of something dangerous, and he doesn't fix it, and someone gets hurt because of it, then there'd probably be a good case for negligence, but whilst there might be unsafe things in your installation there's no evidence of it in your post....

I agree with BAS.

It may be worth asking the landlord when he last had a PIR done, and see if he even knows what one is (Periodic Inspection Report).

I also don't know of a law that requires it (though I have heard of councils and some letting agents asking for it), but he may well find himself on dodgy ground with his building insurance company in the case of a fire - I am sure one of the first questions would be to enquire when the electrics were last checked.

also there has been a single socket wired from the lighting circuit which sits next to the board.

I would say that this IS considered bad practice and should be removed and done properly-somebody may plug a powerful appliance in too strong for the capacitty of the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links

I would say that this IS considered bad practice and should be removed and done properly-somebody may plug a powerful appliance in too strong for the capacitty of the lighting circuit.

I agree.

The 5A fuse wire keeps blowing and is replaced by either a 15A or 30A fuse wire to overcome the hassle. Very common and the temptation should be removed. I would go further than Cawork and see this sort of thing is utterly cack-handed and disgraceful. (For the pedants - assuming the single socket is a 13A BS1363 etc. etc.)

Very old fuse board? Suspect ring final with 1mm cpc with BS3036 re-wireable fuses. Only one circuit so chance of a problem increased than if spread over two or more circuits. All starts to add up.

It is my opinion (sorry for having one) that electrical installations in rented property should be subject to a 'stricter' PIR than private households. Three reasons (all similar) - first to safeguard the tenants, second to safeguard the landlord (the client) and third to safeguard the inspector.

There is nothing to stop the tenant ordering their own 'independent' PIR from a registered electrician so that should the landlord get his old mate in to pass it, the matter can be handed over to the landlords mate's electrical scheme to ponder(which chances are will be the same as that of the tenant's electrician). :D

Fing, you're not on the cusp of bullying someone into having uneccessary work done, are you? ;)

Fing, you're not on the cusp of bullying someone into having uneccessary work done, are you? ;)

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry that you don't have the necessary skills or experience to pass a comment on this thread. Furthermore, I'm sorry that you seem to have trouble following what has been written.

If what I have just written is not correct, it can only be assumed that it is your wish to hijack yet another thread and drag it down into another ding dong. I sincerely hope that others who have expressed themselves to be against such intentions rebuke you accordingly. :D

Now, what did you call me when I "missed" a joke you made (made obvious, you said by adding a smiley to the end of it)?

Did you call me unintelligent? I shall not do the same to you, because I realise it is easy when scanning a post or thread to miss a joke, just like I did. That does not make me unintelligent.

Of course I have the skills and experience to pass comment: I have been doing so here for many years. I have 20+ years experience as an electrician & have been involved in developing & delivering training packages for electricians employed by my company.

Of course, you refuse to let everyone here know your knowledge & experience. Why is that?

Hijack yet another thread?

Let's get it right, my dear Fing, that is what you do all the time, especially ones where Ban posts!

Now it's my turn for one of these just for you! :rolleyes:

Well there's no compulsion to bring existing installations up to current standards, is there.

So I guess that holds whether the current standard in question is BS7671 or FR-PBP2008¹.

Personally I'd not install, or be happy with a socket like that either, but I cant see any grounds for forcing the landlord to remove it...

¹ FingRinal Personal Best Practice

Well there's no compulsion to bring existing installations up to current standards, is there.

So I guess that holds whether the current standard in question is BS7671 or FR-PBP2008¹.

Personally I'd not install, or be happy with a socket like that either, but I cant see any grounds for forcing the landlord to remove it...

¹ FingRinal Personal Best Practice

I can. An 'Unsatisfactory' on a PIR :D

But then BAS, you admit you don't and have never done Inspection and Testing and electrical installation work for a living, so what would you know?

It's easy to pontificate when it's not your liability and indemnity insurance at stake. So that leaves us with your conscience and clearly you don't have one.

This question was for steve 2405
How did you establish the socket was on the lighting cicuit
What size fuse is it

We also don't know if there any exposed conductive parts as it wasn't mentioned, or whether the earthing and bonding complies with 'any' edition of the Regs...etc... :rolleyes: etc... :rolleyes: etc.. :rolleyes:

I don't mind BAS's little groupies chipping in, but try and be a little smarter if you insist on doing it.

I bet you all ganged up at school didn't you. Pathetic!

So far we have:

BAS (leader)
Securespark (2nd in command)
333 Rocky333 (pretend muscle)
Softie (pretend intellect)

:D

We also don't know if there any exposed conductive parts as it wasn't mentioned, or whether the earthing and bonding complies with 'any' edition of the Regs...etc... :rolleyes: etc... :rolleyes: etc.. :rolleyes:

I don't mind BAS's little groupies chipping in, but try and be a little smarter if you insist on doing it.

I bet you all ganged up at school didn't you. Pathetic!

So far we have:

BAS (leader)
Securespark (2nd in command)
333 Rocky333 (pretend muscle)
Softie (pretend intellect)

:D

No need for that fing , the question was serious and to the op not you.
I too have been critisised by people on this forum usually when I have got things wrong.
Look at the new" freinds " function, i do not know these people and judge them only by what I read.

WHY do you think the Q was for you , we are here to solve the OP's problem, not yours.

Anyway
You are assuming it is the socket wrong!
The socket might be wired right on a 2.5 mm 15 amp rad
It may be the lighting is bunched wrongly on to that

No need for that fing , the question was serious and to the op not you.

Apologies :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back