Ring extension load

I withdraw the above - the preferred values in BS EN 60898-1 are 6, 8, 10, 13, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, and 125A.

Sponsored Links
How can a manufacturer claim compliance with something that isn't stated?:confused:
I would think that depends upon how the Standard is worded. For all I know, it could be a standard which was essentially just a generic one about MCBs which included a non-exhaustive list of examples of possible In values. If access to Standards was easier I wouldn't have all these uncertainties and questions!

Kind Regards, John

I withdraw the above - the preferred values in BS EN 60898-1 are 6, 8, 10, 13, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, and 125A.
That's not really an invention of the Standard, then - that is the entire Renard R10 series of values (rounded to whole numbers) between 6 and 125.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Have you tried your local library? Many of them have BS Online access.
You always say that, and it's quite possibly true, but you need to consider the practicalities. My nearest 'serious' public library (probably soon to be my nearest public library of any sort, if the 'closure plans' go ahead) is about an hour's travel (and appreciable parking costs) away and you have to remember that my involvement with/interest in these issues is only just a 'passtime', not my job, or anything to do with my job! The only vaguely 'convenient' library is the mobile one which parks outside my house for about 30 mins every other Thursday afternoon (also 'under threat') and I somehow doubt that comes with 'Online BS access' :)

Kind Regards, John

An hour? Bucks must have grown since I was last there!
Well, within Bucks my main choice is between Aylesbury, Milton Keynes or High Wycombe, but if I'm not county-fussy, Oxford and Banbury, and even Northampton are quite similar in distance. All are 30-45 mins driving, significantly longer if (not unusually) one encounters cows, sheep, horses or agricultural vehicles, and there is a significant walk at t'other end in all cases!

Kind Regards, John

Well, well, I've never heard of the Renard series (there are gaps in everyone's knowledge). I've now googled it. I'm familiar with the E series used in electronics 1, 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7, 6.8 to quote E6 series but then I worked in electronics all my working life.

Thanks for the info.

Well, well, I've never heard of the Renard series (there are gaps in everyone's knowledge). I've now googled it. I'm familiar with the E series used in electronics 1, 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7, 6.8 to quote E6 series but then I worked in electronics all my working life.
Same here - my (non-professional) background has been much closer to electronics than anything else using preferred numbers, so I'm much more familiar will all the E-series - all the way from E6 up to E192. The derivation of the E-series is mathematically similar to the Renard series - but I think you'll find that Renard proposed his series some time before anyone really knew what 'electronics' was!

Kind Regards, John

Standard fuse & circuit-breaker ratings here per the NEC are: 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225,250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000, 1200, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000 & 6000A.

How can a manufacturer claim compliance with something that isn't stated?:confused:
I would think that depends upon how the Standard is worded. For all I know, it could be a standard which was essentially just a generic one about MCBs which included a non-exhaustive list of examples of possible In values.
Surely (o_O) the standard would prescribe only I1, I2 as multiples of In, etc?

I would think that depends upon how the Standard is worded. For all I know, it could be a standard which was essentially just a generic one about MCBs which included a non-exhaustive list of examples of possible In values.
Surely (o_O) the standard would prescribe only I1, I2 as multiples of In, etc?
Yes, one might expect that. However, I suppose there's no reason (as stillip was implying) why it could not include a list of device Ins to which it applies. However, now that stillp has clarified, it appears that the Standard makes reference to all R10 values between 6 and 125 - so the question becomes a bit moot.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back