Ring main or Radial for sockets in extension?

Is that double pole isolation for when the appliance has a neutral to earth fault ?
No, nor do any of the other MCBs for lighting circuits etc. What is so special for an appliance that will be unplugged if it has a neutral to earth fault.

Does every appliance have its own isolation device in the CU ?

Nope, nor is it required. All my appliances have excellent isolation devices, a plug and socket.

Sponsored Links
What is so special for an appliance that will be unplugged if it has a neutral to earth fault.

So all your sockets for all your built in appliances are easy to access.... are they ?

If the fault also trips the RCD for the lights then you could be moving the machine in the dark.

And personally I think a switched FCU looks neater than a 13 amp socket with a cable dangling out of the plug

So all your sockets for all your built in appliances are easy to access.... are they ?

If the fault also trips the RCD for the lights then you could be moving the machine in the dark.
My appliances are not on the same RCD as the lights. i do have emergency lights.

And personally I think a switched FCU looks neater than a 13 amp socket with a cable dangling out of the plug

Indeed. But you can't see a 13amp socket and its cable behind a washing machine.

If you really want local isolation fit a double pole isolator switch, not a FCU which was never meant for that purpose.

Sponsored Links
DON’T EVER TELL MEMBERS TO IGNORE ME OR ANYONE ELSE. It is up to people to make their own decisions, right or wrong. I would never tell others to ignore you or anyone else.

FCUs were never designed to be isolation switches. They are designed to protect the cable on hard wired appliances.

Some don’t even have switches.
Are you saying then, that for example, a manual fan fed and only controlled from a switched FCU from the ring circuit, is wrong?

Last edited:
Are you saying then, that for example, a manual fan fed and only controlled from a switched FCU from the ring circuit, is wrong?
I have said twice that the purpose of a FCU is to protect the cable of a hard wired device. If your fan does not have a cable rated at 32 amps a FCU will be required.

I have said twice that the purpose of a FCU is to protect the cable of a hard wired device. If your fan does not have a cable rated at 32 amps a FCU will be required.
But you said FCUs shouldn't be relied on as isolation switches.

No I did not, I said that was not their main purpose and that some FCUs don’t even have switches.

Yep, that's what I was thinking also. The washing machine / dryer sockets are behind those appliances so not easily accessible (without dragging them out from under the worktop) so a fused spur is a quick and easy way of isolating them. I suppose it's just preference though. I'll probably do it that way as, at the moment, the extension build is just a blank canvas - no plasterboard etc - so very easy to work in. :) Thanks

As I read this, you are moving the 2 appliances from kitchen to utility room. If this is so, it could be easier placing the sockets alongside the appliances. If you can do this you would not need the fcus.

As I read this, you are moving the 2 appliances from kitchen to utility room. If this is so, it could be easier placing the sockets alongside the appliances. If you can do this you would not need the fcus.
Many thanks Scouse. Much appreciated. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back