Ripped off by plumbing charges......please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you MAKE a profit, INTEND to make a profit, or just EXPECT a profit from this activity DOES NOT MATTER; any one of them makes working on gas without being registered a criminal offence.

Or just do it as a favour, you still need to be registered. Basically if you are unregistered you cannot work on gas.

Sponsored Links
Or just do it as a favour, you still need to be registered. Basically if you are unregistered you cannot work on gas.

That is actually an urban myth.

If you neither attempt to make a profit, nor expect one, nor make one by coincidence (or in whatever way), you only need to be competent to work on gas.

You must be registered as soon as gain can reasonably be expected or is intended; realising the profit is immaterial when it comes to registration.

you only need to be competent to work on gas.

Cheers Ben I did not know that. Defining competent may create problems in itself, but I have removed / replaced gas fires / gas cookers in my own home. I suppose that could qualify me as being competent.

The price of property goes up, and at the moment, down. I may live there forever. There is no implied profit.

Totally irrelevant what happens at the moment, you claimed you have been doing this for years, as a business (main source of income ) and apart from that, a business that looses money is still a business and as such still needs to be registered to work on gas.

Which part of "it does not matter whether the profit is realised or not don't you understand?

Which part to:"expectation of gain in itself demands registration" don't you understand?

Let me summarise it one more time for you.

Whether you MAKE a profit, INTEND to make a profit, or just EXPECT a profit from this activity DOES NOT MATTER; any one of them makes working on gas without being registered a criminal offence.

But I don't intend leaving. Home is where I live. Tax man is happy - why aren't you?

Sponsored Links
you are not competent by law unless you hold appropriate qualifications, how else do you define competency?

Competent can mean qualified. It can mean capable. It can mean having the ability.

Hence the word covers a whole range of meanings. I am surprised that those working on gas are not forced to be on the G S register. That would avoid any ambiguity.

So he was defo ripped off then? You lot should be ashamed of yourselves....

Competent can mean qualified. It can mean capable. It can mean having the ability.

Hence the word covers a whole range of meanings. I am surprised that those working on gas are not forced to be on the G S register. That would avoid any ambiguity.

you cannot prove that you are competent unless you have received training and hold qualifications to that effect. thats a fact that will be questioned if any DIYer is ever up in court, own house or not.

YOUR OUT OF ORDER WITH THAT COMMENT MICKY. I for one cannot say he over priced for the job as I do not have the knowledge, but to make that statement to all the qualified plumbers on here and tarnish them with the same brush is not acceptable.

I think you should remove that post, or at the very least apologise for it.

you only need to be competent to work on gas.

Cheers Ben I did not know that. Defining competent may create problems in itself, but I have removed / replaced gas fires / gas cookers in my own home. I suppose that could qualify me as being competent.

If nothing blew up or spilled CO into the room, you probably did that job well enough to survive a bit longer.
The problem is that the competency question is virtually impossible to police. As a result of that, the general approach is to let people do what they do and come down on them like a ton of bricks when it is too late.

But I don't intend leaving. Home is where I live. Tax man is happy - why aren't you?
I suspect the only reasont the taxman is happy is because he does not know all you have been doing.
I, don't give a monkey's. There are thousands of criminals near enough to me to actually form a realsitic potential threat to me, my possesions and my health. The fact that you have been breaking a number of laws for years does not affect me, therefore I don't care; I'm not a cop, nor a tax inspector.

The point I was making, is that you accused people of being conmen, criminals and scum ( without any proof ) whilst by your own admission you are a criminal.
Where I come from, that is called: being a hypocrite.

As I mentioned in the same post from which you quoted:
you claimed yourself that you have been doing this for years,

You may not have decided whether or not you will do it again, but that does not alter the fact that you have confessed on a public forum have habitually committed crimes in the past.
That makes YOU a self confessed criminal.

If nothing blew up or spilled CO into the room, you probably did that job well enough to survive a bit longer.
The problem is that the competency question is virtually impossible to police. As a result of that, the general approach is to let people do what they do and come down on them like a ton of bricks when it is too late.

I would never touch a gas appliance anymore, but the law does seem very vague. It seems totally irresponsible that we have the Gas Safe register but from what you say it seems DIYers can still meddle with gas. The fact I have successfully removed / changed appliances (my own), does not make me competent (I may be just lucky), but the case could be argued that I am competent (UNTIL something went wrong).

That about sums it up Ben , dodgy MOT's as well allegedly , possibly , maybe ? I heard , 1 possible source could be Albania maybe ??

Still a coat of paint covers up a multitude of sins :) what say u jo

YOUR OUT OF ORDER WITH THAT COMMENT MICKY. I for one cannot say he over priced for the job as I do not have the knowledge, but to make that statement to all the qualified plumbers on here and tarnish them with the same brush is not acceptable.

I think you should remove that post, or at the very least apologise for it.
Yeah don`t tar me with the same brush as a bunch of gas fitters :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back