Ripping out the old bathroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd share this how-not-to guide on doing a bathroom

It doesn't really matter if the tiles don't meet in the corner...
View media item 34184
"of course tile adhesive sticks to chipboard :confused: "
View media item 34181
"it's fine if the sealant doesn't actually meet the bath"
View media item 34182
If for some reason you can't get the different bits to line up... just leave a gap
View media item 34186
Why hide the pipe work when you can show it off :rolleyes:
View media item 34180
It's not necessary to seal the corner, even if you're putting a shower there :evil:
View media item 34183
If you have't got enough white tiles, just paint 'em. Normal gloss is fine!
View media item 34185
To get the best finish, tile straight onto the painted bit :eek: then you won't get paint on the tiles :!:
View media item 34192

Anyway, we're ripping this lot out today. I've let my OH loose with a big hammer and instructions to get rid of that damn cast iron bath :p

Hopefully I should have a nice empty room by the time I finish work :LOL:

K

Sponsored Links
Its not a very nice bath. Its a 1700 in an 1800 space, my OH and I are both tall so we're replacing it with a nice 1800 easy to clean acrylic bath! If it was a roll top or something I'd resurface it. He was just digging out the ear defenders when I spoke to him at lunch time :!:
Having lived with this room since September I can't wait to be rid of the lot!

The floor (I couldn't get a decent pic of it) is brown parcel paper, layered with varnish in a papier mache sort of effect!

K

Sponsored Links
Reckon it'll be enough to cover replacing the plasterboard wall that the shower has been soaking for who-knows-how-many-years? :D ;)

K

What's the going rate for these scrap value? Take them out all the time but never bother to weigh them in, am I missing out?
My god your chucking money away, why do you think so much of it gets nicked :eek: It's easy money, even for the non legal stuff if you can find a scrappy to take it & many are not that fussy despite the regulations.

Cash obviously varies depending on the metal, weight & scrap value where you take it but the older the cylinder, the better; really old ones are very thick & heavy. Last scrappy deal I did consisted of 3 x 300mm coils of lead flashing, a bread box full of brass taps/fittings, 2 bread boxes of cut up copper pipe (you must always separate it) & a 43 year old copper cylinder; I got I got £190 & £55 of that was for the copper cylinder alone! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back