HELP! Dormer extension/new bathroom stressing me out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a complete novice with DIY so I may be worrying about nothing, but I'll explain my situation and hopefully you can give me some advice.

We've had a former extension in our bathtroom because the shower wall was sloped. The building work has gone fine and we're now at the decorating/installation stage. We are having tiling around bath only. Also we're having fitted units for the sink and toilet and cabinets above with mosaic tile strip in betwen.

This is the order our building a done things:
- install bath
- install base units (without toilet and sink yet)
- tiling around bath directly onto plaster board, and on floor
- tiling above units onto original plastered wall

I've started worrying now because the tiler got grout everywhere, including our brand new units which I can't get off and I'm quite upset already.

Next plan and worries are:
- plastering the ceiling (is it normal to tile walls up to ceiling before plastering it?)
- skimming walls up to the units (I'm worried about the finish looking bad and also about the units getting more dirty)

We will then have to prime and paint the ceiling and walls with the units in place.

Does this sound like a normal schedule? The logical order to me seems to be having plastered the walls and ceiling first, then painting ceiling, then tiling wall and floor, then painting the rest of the walls and finally fitting the units.

I feel a bit like our builder is just taking the quickest route. Am I just overthinking all of this?

Sponsored Links
There is, of course, a logical order to any project being undertaken.
However, in the real world, sometimes things do not go according to plan... Not ideal but certain circumstances make it unavoidable!

If your builder is also the main contractor and is handling all the other trades then he is ultimately answerable to you regarding the quality of the final finish.

I would speak to him, voice your concerns whilst acknowledging that it is a work in progress. Get him to assure you that he will be responsible for the final clean up and that you will be happy with the finish... After all, you will be holding back that final payment!

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd prefer aqua panel... Bath... Silicone... Tiles... Silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back