Rising Damp or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really stuck and could do with some help. I have looked at other topics on here but still not got to the bottom of my query.

I have a 2 storey flat which I rent to 4 professionals, two bedrooms in basement level and lounge, kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms on a raised ground floor level.

There are patches of damp on the external walls in the kitchen, lounge and one bedroom. My queries are as follows...

1. The lounge is showing a water mark - ie a tide line so I suspect this plaster will need replacing? Are there any other issues/solutions?

2. The kitchen is in a similar state but not tide line just black mouldy damp in one corner.

3. The bedroom is the worst offender. I have a corner of the room hacked back to the brick, boarded out and then plastered over with limelite plaster in the same corner I've had an air-brick fitted at about 1m up the wall (this would be about 1.8m about ground level outside. This work was done in April 2009 and the damp is already creeping back. Several questions on this one - is the air-brick too high? Would rising damp be a problem this high off ground level (bearing in mind there are no issues in the basement rooms)? And what can I do with it? Are there any reputable companies/trademen people can recommend? Any websites I can look at for info?

I'd appreciate any help at all on this with regards to finding out what the problem is and what I can do about it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.. I'm no expert but it sounds like you just plastered over the problem.

I'd go to the yellow pages and get a few damp proofing companies to come around and give their opinions.

I expect they will suggest remove all plaster, inject chemical damp proof, render and plaster again. Also they often comment on the height of the ground out side and suggest a french drain against the property.

You may find the french drain will actually solve the base problem if the ground out side is too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back