Rising damp or poor guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Is the condition of these rear walls a cause for concern? I've recently had an offer accepted on what would be my first house and now have my anxieties playing up as to whether or not this property will be problematic. It's a semi detached property with a double storey extension on the side (garage with a bedroom above, on the left side of the attached picture). I've not been able to physically inspect these rear external walls or the internal garage walls due to the agent not having the keys, however front/side external walls and all internal walls (including bedroom above garage) appear to be sound with no signs of damp whatsoever.

Is this something to be concerned about? There are signs of damp all over the back walls of both the original building (growth just under top right window) through to the new extension (signs of salt leaching on the far side and darker moist-looking brickwork under the windows). I'm not sure if this is due to the wall making contact directly with soil, a failed DPC, or a combination of various issues.

I do plan on having a survey carried out before exchanging, however just curious as to what people's thoughts are.

Editing to add: The EPC certificate suggests these are solid brick walls with no cavity (assumed). Surely if that was the case then a) there would be no airbricks or internal wall vents (of which there is one in the extension bedroom) and b) the water showing on the external wall would have made it through to the internal walls?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The guttering and the waste from the bathroom could easily be tidied up and lose those problematic (leaky) hoppers. The trees want lopping back and replacing with a wall or fence. The airbrick visible may be servicing a boiler of fire.

Thats water going down, not rising up.

And yes, it is a problem that needs sorting - sorting out sooner not later as you may need a reduction in the asking price to deal with it.

MrDDIY,
I understand that you saw no interior damp signs?
You must get inside and inspect all rooms.

The gutters & down pipes are most probably blocked with leaf mulch.
Remove, clean, re-arrange, & re-clip all gutters, down pipes & wastes.
Just a possibility but Hood moulding/drips of some kind might be useful above the lower openings.
The extension brickwork shows say 50% of headers and 50% of stretchers but I'd assume its a cavity wall. Measure it at an opening.
The ground level at the extension is too high: its above any DPC - presumably the floor is solid?
DPC's rarely fail. They mostly get bridged.
Agents usually "lose" keys because it suits them.
The soil pipe could do with a Socket Access.
The leaning, dead tree needs removing - its crater will need filling and well tamping.

None of the above is a big deal.

Sponsored Links
There seems to be zero soffit overhang - which is not ordinarily problematic, but could be an issue on that rear elevation.

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. It's helped relieve some concerns.

With regards to the eaves, the extension side has a flat roof whereas original building is pitched. I would be looking to get the eaves extended beyond the wall if I get to that stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back