Rising Main Discovered under my garage - Can it be moved?

OZB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of knocking down my garage and extending the house and during some exploratory work relating to the foundations my builder discovered what he believes to be the rising main for the road running only 2.5 meters from our house and a good 2.5 metres inside my boundary. Not only have I read that these rising main pipes cannot be moved I have has also been told build over agreements are never permitted and most of the time any building works or developments can no longer proceed due to the rising main being present.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this issue? Not only does it cause huge problems with the development I don't actually want a sewage pipe sitting only. Short distance from the house. Upon speaking to the water board they believe the rising main should be 2.5 metres outside of my boundary and not anywhere near the house. Is there any scope to make them reroute it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The mains supply pipe from your house to the stop tap in the road is yours to do what you like with.

you use the words "sewage." And "for the road" And "rising main"

How big is this pipe, what is it made of? Where do you think it comes from and goes to?

some photos would help.

A Rising Main in drainage terms, is a pumped sewer, running from the drainage well to a point where it discharges back into a gravity sewer. Can be ductile iron, asbestos cement, or newer versions are HDPE plastic. It's usual for them to take the most convenient route from the pumping station to the discharge point.

Highly unlikely you will get a buildover agreement, bear in mind it will likely be working under some pressure when the pumps are running. Nothing stopping it being moved, (it's a pumped line, not a gravity sewer, so gradients and falls aren't a problem), but whether the Water Company will move it at their expense to suit your plans is another matter entirely. I would check your deeds for any mention of an easement for said sewer.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there has been no misunderstanding of what the builder said? The expression "rising main" in respect of a domestic curtilage usually refers to the incoming water main.

A "rising main" is actually a vertical water main pipe in a multi storey block.

I am just assuming that the OP means water main, because there is no other main going into a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back