Planning Permission or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is starting to get frustrating

I am building a 6m x 5x block shed in my back garden (rented property from council).

It falls within the limitations bar one: it encroaches 5cm into the 2 metre boundary requirement.

"Any part of the development within 2 metres of a boundary of the house cannot exceed a height of 2.5 metres"

Found here: www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings

That's the only possible issue, and as far as I can tell, it isn't an issue. All that means is I can't build the roof of the shed higher than 2.5 metres. It doesn't mean I can't build a shed at all.

So do I need planning permission for this?

My local council are asking me to submit planned drawings and hand over £95 for some application fee. I keep telling them I don't need planning permission, and we keep going around in circles.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
If the build is within the rules of permitted development then a planning application is not required. It sounds like you are being asked to submit for a certificate of lawfulness, which is a procedure for people who want confirmation that the proposal is within the rules, or for when the rules are difficult to interpret. You will get a legal certificate that say your proposal is lawful and you can proceed without worry that the LPA will come knocking later. Being a council house you do need landlords consent for a new building and it may be a policy of the council that you provide a CoL before they give consent. (landlord's consent that is - not planning consent.)

Is it the Council as the Planning Department or the Housing Department as your landlord who are asking?

If you are confident that it is permitted development then no need to pay for any lawful development certificates or pre-application advice. If it is the Housing Department then you will need your landlords consent to build the shed which usually carries a small fee.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the advice

I think it might be the Housing Department, but I've been redirected so many times I'm not entirely sure. I'm going to see them face to face on Monday so hopefully I'll know more then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back